Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish soldiers' uniforms

EditIM

The men in the lower photo look to be from the Gordon Highlanders, going by the glengarry badge of the centre man and the shoulder title of the man on the left. I think the men in the upper photo could well be from the Seaforth Highlanders going by the kilts. Pete.

Edited by CorporalPunishment

3 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Top image is the 8th Bn Black Watch returning from Longueval 14th July 1916

Sorry, but that's certainly not the case.   The government tartan does't have light coloured stripes through it.

Furthermore if Black Watch, the piper would likely be wearing a different tartan (Royal Stewart) from the others (Government tartan). 

The yellow of the Gordon tartan rarely comes out in the photographic process, but white does......so far more likely to be men of the Seaforth Highlanders (or even Liverpool Scottish or the 6th Bn. Highland Light Infantry).

It's a well published photograph and elsewhere the piper in it is recorded as having been from the 7th (Service) Bn. Seaforth Highlanders......returning from Longueval.  This is likely correct based on the kilts/tartan, and that the battalion was there.

As for the second photo, the cap badge/badges on the shoulders do indicate Gordon Highlanders. 

p.s......of personal interest to me as my (late) godfather composed the bagpipe tune 'Longueval'.  

Edited by Ron Abbott

15 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

Sorry, but that's certainly not the case.   The government tartan does't have light coloured stripes through it.

Furthermore if Black Watch, the piper would likely be wearing a different tartan (Royal Stewart) from the others (Government tartan). 

The yellow of the Gordon tartan rarely comes out in the photographic process, but white does......so far more likely to be men of the Seaforth Highlanders (or even Liverpool Scottish or the 6th Bn. Highland Light Infantry).

It's a well published photograph and elsewhere the piper in it is recorded as having been from the 7th (Service) Bn. Seaforth Highlanders......returning from Longueval.  This is likely correct based on the kilts/tartan, and that the battalion was there.

As for the second photo, the cap badge/badges on the shoulders do indicate Gordon Highlanders. 

p.s......of personal interest to me as my (late) godfather composed the bagpipe tune 'Longueval'.  

This most interesting. I have seen photograph 1 in (at least one) book somewhere with the Black Watch caption and had vaguely accepted that without looking careflly at it. When I saw it in this thread and looked at it carefully it clearly can't be the Black Watch. I cannot immediately think which book has the misleading caption; can anyone else?

RM

15 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

As always I'm happy to be corrected Ron and thank you for the photographic detail of the tartans. I have had the image stored on my PC for some time with the IWM label (Battle of Bazentin Ridge. Troops of the 26th Brigade, 9th Division returning from the trenches with a piper of the 8th Black Watch Regiment after the attack on Longueval, Montauban, 14 July 1916). Looking at the IWM online content today I do see that this image is also labeled as 7th Seaforth Highlanders also of the 26th Brigade, 9th Division

• 1 month later...

I've always understood the 1st image was Seaforths and believe they are marching down the sunken lane south of Montauban, towards Maricourt.  It's still there, but the trees have grown back each side.

Tim

The first photograph featured in the classic then and now thread which shows what the location looks like now; scroll down to post 883. I found the images haunting; I hope it is of interest.

Pete.