Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Air Force at Turnberry- identity help required

Rustyangel

Hi All, 

Can anyone lease help me identify the gentleman in the centre of the picture. In the photograph album I have he is tagged as the 'Chief of the French Air Force'?

Others mentioned are Capt. Leather, Bell-Irving (CO) and Capt. Harris. The picture would have been taken between 1917-1919. I am desperate to know who the dapper little man is :rolleyes:

Any hints most appreciated.

Regards from Turnberry

Air Staff.jpg

Edited by Rustyangel
forgot tags

3 hours ago, Rustyangel said:

Hi All, 

Can anyone lease help me identify the gentleman in the centre of the picture. In the photograph album I have he is tagged as the 'Chief of the French Air Force'?

Others mentioned are Capt. Leather, Bell-Irving (CO) and Capt. Harris. The picture would have been taken between 1917-1919. I am desperate to know who the dapper little man is :rolleyes:

Any hints most appreciated.

Regards from Turnberry

Air Staff.jpg

Rustyangel.  One possibility could be General Maurice Duval.

General Hirschauer ?  (He was the predecessor of General Maurice Duval)

1646199689_Auguste_douard_Hirschauer_1912.jpg.0e7feaae1bc262b1ea9a0303c0f1486e.jpg

Appointed Director of Military Aeronautics at the Ministry of War on October 10, 1914, General Hirschauer completed the program of increasing the number of squadrons by reducing the number of aircraft types in service: Morane-Saulnier Parasol and Farman Biplane for reconnaissance, Caudron G.III for artillery observation and control, Neighbor III biplane for bombing. This plan plans to increase the number of squadrons to 65:

16 army squadrons on Morane-Saulnier, Voisin and Maurice Farman.
    30 squadrons of corps on Caudron.
    16 bomber squadrons on Voisin and Maurice Farman.
    3 squadrons of cavalry, authorized to keep their monoplans Blériot.

The first aerial combats in the history of aviation involve the French air force, and intervene very early in the war; In fact, the very first aerial combat in the history of aviation pits the Neighbors piloted by Sergeant Joseph Frantz (accompanied by his mechanic) to a German Aviatik on October 5, 1914, and the victory is obtained by the two Frenchmen.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histoire_de_l'Armée_de_l'air_française

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auguste_Édouard_Hirschauer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auguste_Hirschauer

Photo probably taken when he was Governor of Strassbourg 1918/19, or after his retirement?

After the armistice, he was appointed governor of Strasbourg and retired in 1919, after forty-five years of service.

Edited by JWK

Bonjour

General Hirschauer's height was 1.78 meters (5ft 10 in ?)

So I don't think he was the 'dapper little man' at middle of the photo

Thank you JWK and Bruno,

I think I may have to give up on this one:( I have emailed the Air Museum in Paris but they can't help either. I have to acknowledge that the caption in the photograph album may be incorrect.

Thank you for your comments