Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driving round Belgium and Northern France - sights advice

All Together Now

In March I will be travelling over 2/3 days with the starting point being Ypres, ending in Charleroi where I will be dropping off the hire car. I am planning on doing something like:

Ypres: visit the Liverpool Scottish Memorial Stone at Hooge.

I then have 2 days to get from Ypres to Charleroi but by travelling to France:

Givenchy-les-la-Bassee: Briefly visit the 55th West Lancs Memorial there and drive on to...

Vimy (Canadian) Memorial

Arras area

Beaumont Hamel: Newfoundland Memorial Park and Memorial to 29th Division

Guillemont area

Cambrai area

I am staying in Amiens one night before driving to Charleroi the next day

Would anyone have any advice or other areas they would recommend visiting around those areas. 

The ones in bold are places I definitely want to see due to family members serving with those Divisions (55th and 29th).

Thanks

Edited by All Together Now

Thiepval , Ulster Tower and Delvile Wood,

Tony

On your return journey from Amiens, if you have time, you could turn right at Albert on to the D938 heading for Peronne.  You will pass through Fricourt (or divert left to Mametz Wood) and shortly on your right is the Devonshire cemetery (further up the hill is where they uncovered the remnants of a Livens long flame projector as per the Time Team Special programme.  A few hundred yards past Devonshire is Minden Post, as featured in the film on the Somme from 1916.  Not much to see but if you park on the right and vegetation permitting, you could  be able to see the tunnel under the road you have just travelled along.

Continuing in the direction of Peronne, you could turn left at Maricourt and follow the furthest advance made on 1 July to Montauban (memorial to Liverpool and Manchester Pals) and/or turn right at the Montauban crossroads to go past Bernafay and Trones woods and the area where Noel Chavasse won his first VC and onto Guillemont and Delville Wood if you haven't been there already.  You could then go via Longueval and Flers to Bapaume and on to Cambrai (via Deborah?). 

Alternatively, if time is tight , continue through Maricourt to Peronne for the Historial Museum and/or pick up the A1 just before Peronne and make your way to Charleroi..

You will do well to get in all the suggestions being made on this thread!