Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

eisenbahn.tv

"Bahnhof 15" (Railwaystation 15) - Interesting Layout!

eisenbahn.tv

Hallo,

have a look at this:

WWI-0756.jpg.e83e6ca62415332ece978b30c7c41a26.jpg

Two barracs (or hospitals but the red cross is missing) and in the middle railway cicle. So you can turn trains at whloe, not only the engine. Normaly you only turn the engine, move around the train and start again in the other direction. (Steam engines must be turned in that time, because the run forward faster than backwards ..)

WWI-0756a.jpg.834eeb0a038d1a111ce35899f261570b.jpg

WWI-0756b.jpg.de117f4f2775592b52926d32ea785af4.jpg

So why that layout? Armord trains? Munitiontrains to get as fast to the front a possible? (Or get woundet solders as fast back as possible?)

No Information at the back of the photo. But the light shining gravel makes me think this is constructed shortly before the picture was taken (=wartimes).

Anyone a idee where "Bahnhof 15" was and what was it's use?

Regads Gabriel

GreyC

Can´t say much about your photo except that I have an aerial view of a similar construction near Tournay.

GreyC

xxLuftbildGleisanlagenKehreFTournayCOPY.thumb.jpg.598cc79053914ed9f288383612957a6d.jpg

CountryJohn

Looking at the shapes of fields and hedgerows, etc, surely they're both the same place?

CJ

JulianR

Gabriel,

The top photo of bahnhof 15 seems to have had the photographic information cut off.  Is that on the original image before it was scanned?  If so can you rescan the info?  

As the written word bahnhof 15 seems to be in a Germanic style of writing, I suspect that the image has been taken over Allied lines, as otherwise the image would have been anmed as to the location.   I am not aware that the British laid out stations in this style, but of course, it may be that info has been lost to prosperity.

Julian

JulianR
Just now, CountryJohn said:

Looking at the shapes of fields and hedgerows, etc, surely they're both the same place?

CJ

Yes, possibly, if we can get info on the top photo then it would help.  No doubt bahnhof 15 is the German intelligence listing having spotted a new railway station.  

eisenbahn.tv

The cut off information is missing at my print. 

WWI-0756c.jpg.8a29d96b3a62adbbcd3d4b8b63fb1a1f.jpg

Perfect match I would say! (Only the trees have been grown a little and the buildings were built)

WWI-0756d.jpg.e5696f641409368aafb89546552b7065.jpg

So the information GreyCs photo will be for both.

Favresse looks good: Landscape, straight line.

https://goo.gl/maps/aQuRgNEW8GE2

..and it would  makle sense: Four lines a connectes at this short pice of track.

https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte?c=4.666931719202347,48.716662049894325&z=12&l0=ORTHOIMAGERY.ORTHOPHOTOS::GEOPORTAIL:OGC:WMTS(1)&l1=TRANSPORTNETWORKS.RAILWAYS::GEOPORTAIL:OGC:WMTS(1)&permalink=yes

Anyone got maps?

Regards Gabriel

Edited by eisenbahn.tv
mistake

Andrew Upton

34 minutes ago, CountryJohn said:

CJ

31 minutes ago, JulianR said:

Yes, possibly, if we can get info on the top photo then it would help.  No doubt bahnhof 15 is the German intelligence listing having spotted a new railway station.  

Definitely the same place, with some development over time:

Railway map comparison.jpg

CountryJohn

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that both these photos depict the area in the Google Maps excerpt below, to the north of the current railway, and bounded on the east where the D15 crosses the railway at a right angles, and on the west where the curvy minor road corosses the railway.

image.png.e3c7b087440ce545b645a074408fb80a.png

CJ

Andrew Upton
9 minutes ago, CountryJohn said:

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that both these photos depict the area in the Google Maps excerpt below, to the north of the current railway, and bounded on the east where the D15 crosses the railway at a right angles, and on the west where the curvy minor road corosses the railway.

Looks good to me:

Railway map comparison 2.jpg

egbert

Good job on this one

eisenbahn.tv

Tournay ist the name of the village, those five houses west of the installation.

https://goo.gl/maps/oCE2QFfCQf22

Now we should find out what kind of installation this was....

JWK

Here a description of Tournay (in French)

http://inventaire-patrimoine.cr-champagne-ardenne.fr/dossier/tournay-ancienne-grange-de-cheminon/ae6c6fdd-bc10-4f14-ac45-1891b2950557

It talks about the station being contructed but can't quite figure out when.

At least during the great drought of 1976 it reappeared again on aerial photos.

It's called the Gare régulatrice de Favresse.

GreyC

Hi people,

this is really cool! Thank you all for your input!

The unit that took my photo, Fl. Abt. Art. 285, was formed 29th November 1916 from FFA 72 Flieger-Bataillon Nr. 2.  and existed till the end of the war. During autumn 1917 part of  5th German Army. Favresse and Tournay were never controlled by the Germans.

GreyC

PS: Here is a little watercolour of the works:

https://horizon14-18.eu/wa_files/cata2014.pdf

Edited by GreyC
additional info

MBrockway

Same area from the IGN 1950-1965 aerial photos layer - still signs of the installation visible ...

760640902_TOURNAY-FAVRESSE1950-65.jpg.e9d3bb60d165fad16cc63aa09f62e6ad.jpg

© IGN 2019 - Tous droits réservés - Géoportail

https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte?c=4.713365007781987,48.72153663136365&z=16&l0=ORTHOIMAGERY.ORTHOPHOTOS.1950-1965::GEOPORTAIL:OGC:WMTS(1)&permalink=yes

Mark

Martin Bennitt

A gare régulatrice was the hub which handled all trains for a particular army’s area moving supplies and men up to the front or returning with wounded etc. Favresse was a bit different in that it catered specifically for men going on and off leave. It was built towards the end of the war and comprised dormitories, canteens, washrooms etc, which were described as ‘comfortable, even luxurious’ in the 600-page report entitled « Les chemins de fer de l’Est et la guerre 1914-18 » by A. Marchand, inspector general of the Est railway company pub. 1924, which seems to tell you everything you could possibly want to know about the railway system which fed the French front (downloadable from the French national library website  gallica.bnf.fr and fortunately searchable).

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6529528j

There is a description and plan of Favresse on pages 350-352.

It is implied that Favresse was built to improve the lot of the troops in the wake of the 1917 mutinies.

Hope you find this useful.

Cheers Martin B

CountryJohn

Extremely interesting, and something of which I was in total ignorance before today!

Thank you, Martin.

CJ

GreyC

Very useful, thank you Martin!

GreyC

JulianR

Martin,

Many thanks, I will now have to look to see if they have any thing on Salonika, Togoland and Cameroun.

Some time ago I did find a picture book on that site about the Railway Engineer Regt but could not download it.

Julian

Martin Bennitt

I haven’t looked but there may well be an equivalent for the chemins de fer du Nord.

Cheers Martin B