Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

American Pilots WWI

bcarleton

I'm helping with some museum projects associated with a new WWI exhibit here at the CAF museum in Arizona. The name 'Glen Heckworth' has come up a few times as an American pilot. I have no other info but am hoping someone can point me to a good source for researching names of US airmen because I get lots of questions that can't be answered with searches in Ancestry or Fold3.

Have you been in touch with the excellent folks at 'Over the Front'? Very devoted and always helpful.

The best source is 'Wings of Honor - American Airmen in WW1' by James J Sloan jr.

Heckworth is not mentioned

Alternative source is Gorrells's history at Maxwell AFB, including a complete list of US Airmen in November 1918

Unless I've transcribed his name incorrectly he isn't listed there either.

There is a Hackworth, but first names are Lucian N

No record of him in UK records

www.airhistory.org.uk lists US airmen who served with UK units and will be updated next month with another 50,000 entries showing all officer movements in France plus further US airmen entries including all US airmen casualties

Hi

The only similar name I can find is a Glen Arlington Hackworth, b.10.4.1891. d.25.5.1957. Draft Reg'n cards for WW1 and 2 on Ancestry. ...looking

Regards Barry

Adding to the information provided by Nieuport and Barry regarding Glen A. Hackworth and Lucien N. Hackworth, as follows:

(1) Lucien Nicholas Hackworth:  birthdate 5 February 1893, at Ashland, Kentucky, the son of James T & Florida Hackworth

lifelong resident of Ashland, died there 9 June 1947

commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in U.S. Air Service 15 June 1918; discharged 28 January 1919

(2) Glen Arlington Hackworth:  birthdate 10 April 1891, at Seward, Nebraska, the son of James & Laqura Jane (Cross) Hackworth

living in Jackson, Oklahoma in 1910; in Pushmataha County, Oklahoma in 1917; the 1930 Census confirms that he was a

W.W.I veteran, living in Carson County, Texas; living in Bowie, Texas in 1940; died 25 May 1957, at Mesquite, Dallas, Texas

I cannot locate a Glen(n) Heckworth in any records I have located.  I second Nieuport's recommendation of the books by Sloan

and Gorrell as the best sources for information concerning American airmen of World War I.

Josquin

Hi All

Lucien Nicholas Hackworth "Application for Headstone or Marker" states  under "US Regiment,State Organisation and Division"...."Air Service", enlisted 15th June, 1918. Rank 2nd Lt. Discharged 28.1.1919...looking The following article appeared on 5th July 1918, Louisa, Lawrence, USA.

Regards Barry

News article

Edited by The Inspector

Many thanks all of you. I will definitely run down your suggestions. I think the best theory is that he would be a 'Hackworth' not 'Heckworth.' Thanks again.