Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ashplant Walking sticks

DrB

Rather esoteric, but I have read quite often that officers led their men, in and out of combat, waving a walking stick, many of which were reportedly ashplant.

What color were they? Were they ever painted black?

DrB

:huh:

A shillelagh was originally an ash sapling from the townland of Shillelagh in Co Wicklow in Ireland

I have two, in various states of wear. Ash is a pale grey/buff when used as a stick, with a brass ferrule.

Edmund Blunden was ordered to carry one in the RSx, as he recalls in his memoir.

Ashplants were carried by officers of the Tank Corps for the very practical purpose of testing the ground to ensure that their tanks did not become bogged. They are still carried today by Royal Tank Regiment officers.

Charles M

Ash has the properties desireable in a stick: light but strong, bendable handle, cheap, good looking .......... you wouldn't use a rare hardwood to cart around, would you?.

Langley is almost right, Ash has the properties of absorbing shock, so when you wack a mugger around the head you dont feel a thing but he goes down like a stone. Thats why the Irish use Ash to make Hurlies ( Hockey Sticks ).

Courtesy of Jack Hargreaves R.I.P.-- from television programme " HOW ".

They dont all use Hickory Peter, just the same as all axe's dont either, but as far as i know Hickory isnt a native wood to the British Isles, so thats why Ash is used. Infact in Ireland they will only use the bottom of the tree where the root joins the stump so it follows it's natural shape to make the Hurley. They will use no other part or wood either.

Mountain Ash - or Rowan in Scotland makes a super stick. I have both my Grandfathers and my Fathers sticks as new as the day they were made less some nicks and scratches.

Aye

Malcolm

Quote:-

Walking sticks have been made in numerous styles and from a wide range of woods including ash, chestnut, cherry, hazel, oak, orange, snakewood and rattan.

But the original reason for a walking stick was a weapon of self defence agaisnt muggers, some had lead weights at the bottom, some had blades in the handle, and some used to house a shotgun cartridge and barrel with a trigger in the handle

my best stick is ancient vine, complete with twist, like a kebab wound round and round. It has a steel ferrule with a point "for hill walking" but I keep it fairly sharp ........

Quote "you would n't carry some exotic hard wood around" well Sgts and above in the Liverpool Police did

my signal stick is some kind of exotic hardwood the guy in the stick shop in New Oxford Street could n't identify when I took it in to be re-ferruled, but thought came from Malaya

The modern ones are rather yellowy looking, but mine is a nice deep brown

You never see the black ones anymore either

I thought shillelaghs were made of blackthorn

A signal stick is a stick about the length of a pace stick, but does n't divide. The top is shaped for a comfortable hold and there is a collar a few inches down so you can put a thong on it so you can have your hands free to write in a pocket book etc.

They date back as a design to at least 1836. Some colliery officials also carry them - they can be used for measuring things and testing the soundness of wooden pit props.

You can make all kinds of signals with it by waving it about or banging it on things. The signals have n't been listed in standing orders for years on end because of radio (making them superfluous) and traffic noise (making them inaudible). Nowadays they are just a badge of office and a weapon, but the name has stuck.

Sargeant and above in Merseyside police carry them, Inspector and above in GMP, Nottinghamshire Inspectors and above carry a slightly different design with a silver ball top and no thong. I have seen CSMs and Provost Sargeants with them sometimes.

Thank you, one lives and learns.

I have seen, in the possession of a Lt Col RSigs [Retd], a Pace Stick with spoof signalling attachment. He was a staff WO I at Sandhurst and when he was commissioned he was presented with a pace stick with spring-out radio aerial, all beautifully crafted.

• 9 months later...

I have seen pictures of some officers in the greatwar carrying long walking sticks almost croziers, they all seemed to be colonels. Did the type of stick vary with rank?

I have seen pictures of some officers in the greatwar carrying long walking sticks almost croziers, they all seemed to be colonels. Did the type of stick vary with rank?

The ability to be conspicuously different, increased with rank.

Gunboat,

can't answer that one I'm afraid but Royal Irish Regiment and London Irish Rifles Officers carry a Blackthorn walking stick.

In certain Highland battalions the CO carried a Cromach (a Highland Shepherds Crook) a custom carried over from the Clan Chieftains to denote their status as shepherd of their flock

In certain Highland battalions the CO carried a Cromach (a Highland Shepherds Crook) a custom carried over from the Clan Chieftains to denote their status as shepherd of their flock

Yes they were Highland Officers thinking back