Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question on british battalion

The Prussian

Hello!

I need to know, which british unit had been in action against the german infantry regiment N° 185 on Sept., 20, 1917.

The german regiment was exactly between Langemark and Poelkapelle.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Screenshot (41).jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Hi

This does not answer your question but it may help to narrow it down !!

60 Brigade were 12th Rifle Brigade and 6th Oxs and Bucks supported by 6th K.S.L.I.  (Eagle Trench occupied just to the north of where you are indicating. Fighting may have have moved slightly south BUT that is just supposition on my part)

Regards,

Graeme

Image1.jpg

Edited by GraemeClarke

Hello Greame!

That´s brilliant! Thanks a lot!!!

Well, it´s not clear if it was 59th or 60th brigade, but I wait for the german regimental history. Maybe we´ll have a match!

The background is, I recieved a photo from a group of NCOs of the 185th regiment. One of the men (the 1st man sitting from the right, Josef Allgaier) was captured in that fight and was brought to POW camps in Wales and Lancashire.

208.Inf.Div. (Strichdivision, Inf.Rgt. 185, Gruppe).jpg

Scannen0002.jpg

Screenshot (40).jpg

Edited by The Prussian

It looks like he was probably taken by the Brigade on 60 Bde‘s right flank. 3 & 4 Coys IR 185 were forced back and the Jungburg overrun, which by my reckoning is in square 30.a on Graeme‘s map.

1004F3E9-E9A9-4E84-A053-86D37AF49F53.jpeg

B0F435D7-C863-4E35-A5B1-3381085E59F7.jpeg

Thank you Charlie! Very good Infos. Is it from the regimental history 185? You will find Jungburg on my map east of Langemarck

Andi,

The Jungburg was taken by 4th Bn Seaforth Highlanders, (154 Bde, 51st Highland Division). The Jungburg looks like it was called Pheasant Farm by the british, the shaded area to its rear on your map is the cemetery on the attached map.

The exerpt is from the 185er history, page 58. https://portal.dnb.de/bookviewer/view/1031432604#page/58/mode/2up

Charlie

6777EE47-0FF2-440D-AF56-B7D14E8B7B53.jpeg

F2131A7F-0B2F-4249-BA97-4CA4B8BBCF78.jpeg

Thankds a lot again, Charlie!

That´s a little bit strange... I haven´t seen the 51st division in the "long trail": http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battles/battles-of-the-western-front-in-france-and-flanders/the-battles-of-ypres-1917-third-ypres/

Neither in the battle of Langemarck, nor in the battle of Menin Road...

But the diary confirms the regimental history, that at 6am the 4th company was forced to retreat. In that action Mr. Allgaier could be captured! Right?

I agree that Pheasant Farm was called Jungburg in german recordings.

Edited by The Prussian

4 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Thankds a lot again, Charlie!

That´s a little bit strange... I haven´t seen the 51st division in the "long trail"

Neither in the battle of Langemarck, nor in the battle of Menin Road...

But the diary confirms the regimental history, that at 6am the 4th company was forced to retreat. In that action Mr. Allgaier could be captured! Right?

Andi,

It is obviously a mistake in the LLT, which is corrected on the page for the 51st Div http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/51st-highland-division/

After reading the 6.10am entry in the War Diary it would seem that he was a lucky man to be one of the few taken prisoner. 

Charlie

Hi Charlie!

That explains it! Thanx!

Unortunately the regimental history doesn't mention the enemy unit.

Oh yes. "very few prisoners taken". The regimental history doesn´t have informations like the other ones... and the only one about that regiment...

Edited by The Prussian