Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain John Kelly Bridge 31/1/19

Mark Hone

In memory of Captain John Bridge 1st/5th Lancashire Fusiliers (attached Royal Irish Regiment), who died of septic meningitis in Cairo on 31st January 1929 aged 26. He was the last of 98 old boys of Bury Grammar School, Lancashire to die on active service in the Great War. A veteran of the Gallipoli campaign, he remained in Egypt when his battalion was redeployed to the Western Front in 1917, taking command of an internment camp for enemy aliens. He was due to return to the UK within a few weeks when he fell ill with an ear infection in January 1919. 

20190127_112811.jpg

His full story can be read on our Centenary Roll of Honour web page, along with those of the other 97 old boys (actually 98, it's a long story). I have now completed the Roll of Honour, adding each entry as the anniversary of their death approached. I intend to go back to update several entries with new information and photographs, unearthed during the course of my researches.

http://bgsarchive.co.uk/authenticated/Browse.aspx?SectionID=164&tableName=ta_boys_rollofhonour