Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ross Rifle Mk11 Bayonet

Luxor

Hello I recently discovered a Ross Rifle bayonet in an old tool chest and am wondering if anyone can help identify the markings. I have attached a few photos. I believe I understand the Mk11 and the date of manufacture as 08, 1916, but I can't find anything on the rest. Thank you.

IMG_2222.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

Luxor,

Welcome to the forum!

Wonderful quality scabbard & frog, and the bayonet is pretty good also.

Are you sure that you didn’t discover this in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings?

Broad Arrow In  C = Canadian govt. ownership 

11 = Mk, II

8 / 16 = manufactured in Aug, 1916

crown/4 = inspector number 4

The lined through initials P L F  = Princess Louise Fusiliers, a Regiment of the Canadian Army

M C/G = militia company or Machine gun (Company) ???

573 = the rifle or rack number that this bayonet was assigned to.

The question now is, what else is in that toolbox?

Edit: I forgot the markings on the grip, 32 A. / 14; they look official, but I have no explanation to offer.

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
Add info

"  32A 

14   "

also looks like a rack number. I do not know enough Canadian history but wonder whether this is a cadet unit rack number after WW1 or possibly a  WW2 Canadian Home Guard equivalent number.

Cheers

Ross

I should also add, this is a variation of the m1910 Ross bayonet. The blade has been "sharpened for war service" which in the case of Ross bayonets included grinding a spear point profile to the blade. This was only carried out in the UK, to weapons that had accompanied Canadian troops to the UK for final training prior to deployment on the Western Front. 

As the bayonet was only manufactured in August 1916, it is unlikely to have arrived in the UK prior to October. By this time Canadian troops were routinely re-equipped with SMLE No1 MkIII rifles prior to deployment on the continent. Although it was sharpened for war service it is much more likely that it was only used for training in the UK, prior to being returned to storage in Canada.

Cheers

Ross 

Thank you to everyone for the information. It conjures interesting feelings when holding something like this bayonet that likely saw and experienced incredible images about one hundred years ago. The first reaction is to wish that the item could talk and tell you its stories. But then one realizes that the stories might be unimaginable today. I hope its original owner returned to Canada safely along with his bayonet.

Also, I have a general interest in collectibles, but I'm primarily focused on collecting old coins, stamps and documents. Does anyone have a sense of who might wish to have a bayonet such as this one? Thank you again.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I’ve been searching for a bayonet such as this. I have the 1910 Mark III rifle and am not sure if they are compatible. 

Majorfree,

They would be compatible.

All the best,

Gary