Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The berthier carbine

TheCorrectedEnglishModel

So, can anyone else explain the Berthier in their own words other than Othias from C&Rsenal? I’d like to know possibly that speck more about my favorite carbine.

I'm really not sure what you are saying here! Sorry.

I have a number of examples (I have posted pictures previously) - a search should probably turn up the threat but what is it you are asking?

HERE IS A THREAD WITH SEVERAL PICTURES OF MY EXAMPLES (CLICK)

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons
add link to previous thread

Thanks for the reply, I have been taking hours away of my days just on my computer for facts of these.

Berthier was adopted by French army in 1892.  It used the same 8 x 50 mm cartridge as Lebel.  The Berthier was originally designed to be used 

by cavalry and artillery .  It used a 3 rd Mannlicher style en bloc clip because of the difficulty of loading the 8 rd tube magazine of the Lebel on horseback

In 1902  a rifle length version was created for use by colonial troops in Indo China (Vietnam) as the locals were much smaller than Europeans

The Lebel was too long and heavy.  In 1915 the French army began issuing Berthier .  In 1916 the magazine was increased to 5 rds to match the German Mauser

These version can be identified by the curved magazine well extending below the stock line 

Thanks for the reply, but i think they came out originally in 1890, right?

Not certain about when they were introduced but they came with a nice series of bayonets!

1892 bayonets are the greatest looking ones compared to Rosalie bayonets and other French designs.

Yes they are - I have the set but missing a scabbard for one... Didn't mind parting with my spare Rosalies when really broke last year, but won't part with the Berthiers!

Edited by trajan

I've been selling off my collection lately because of advancing age but trying to hang on to this one to the last because it's so you might say, cute, LOL

749.    FRENCH 1890 BERTHIER CAVALRY CARBINE.   Serial #F45186. A  scarce cavalry carbine that is still in its original cavalry configuration having no bayonet attachment as the cavalry was issued sabers.  Most of these carbines were altered in WWI to have bayonet lugs as the cavalry was drastically reduced. It's all matching except for the original cleaning rod which has a different number. The barrel is dated 1891. The bluing is very nice throughout and has about an excellent bore. The stock shows a lot of history/use having numerous small dents/dings and one small hair line crack on the stock wrist. The stock has a small crown stock cartouche but no roundle cartouche visible. It has no import stamps. Probably came out of a dry area as it has no pitting and has a very dark patina overall, Ray

1064597210_1890Berthiercarbine-18.jpg.63f7566001efb6236972bf697edc3b12.jpg1620558994_1890Berthiercarbine-15.jpg.767d31ae95eadb0bac3b9e3b305b3a4f.jpg1560885504_1890Berthiercarbine-1.jpg.2782f47ae2457a9a7345e03045c6e337.jpg

Edited by rayg

That's a nice complete example RayG! I must admit that after Enfields I do like the Berthiers.

Chris

• 6 months later...

Nice indeed, great find.