Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
seaJane

George Butterworth film 27 Feb - anyone in Diss, Norfolk?

seaJane

https://www.thecornhall.co.uk/shows/all-my-lifes-buried-here-the-story-of-george-butterworth/

All My Life’s Buried Here – The Story of George Butterworth

Venue: The Corn Hall, Diss, Norfolk

Date: Weds 27 Feb

Times: 1030, 1930. TIckets £6.50, or under-18s £4.00

Directed by Stewart Hajdukiewicz, UK, 97 mins, 2019

"For the first time in a documentary film, here is the compelling story of the English composer, George Butterworth who met a tragic end on The Somme in 1916. He left behind a handful of still popular works such as 'The Banks of Green Willow' and 'Rhapsody, A Shropshire Lad', and an impressive collection of traditional songs and dances gathered on trips into rural England.

The director will attend both screenings to participate in audience Q&A.

The film includes an interview with the late Professor Alun Howkins, historian, south Norfolk resident and former Trustee of Diss Corn Hall."

SiegeGunner

Thanks for the heads-up, Jane.  I won't get to Diss, but I shall certainly look out for the film on TV and/or video.  

aengland

Are you aware if it will it be available for a wider audience? sounds fascinating... and unfortunately I would to be there but cannot.

Andrew

David_Underdown

seaJane

Good spot David.

I too am the wrong side of the country for Diss, and although my dad lives in Norfolk I don't think he's at home that weekend. Besides, it's a big county - he's an hour's drive away (cue laughter from Australians).

seaJane

Just heard this is coming to the Curzon Cinema, Clevedon, Somerset on June 23rd at 1:30 pm.

Nick Thornicroft

I went to see this film in Gloucester a few weeks ago. From a Great War perspective there is footage of the ceremony which is held each year (at Butterworth's graveside) on the anniversary of his death, & a bit about his general war service leading to his death on the Somme. The central portion of the film concentrates on his gathering of English folk songs, his morris dancing & his musical compositions. Whilst I commend anyone taking on such a subject, & bringing the memory of such a creative soul back to the public eye, I did find it a bit repetitive & was possibly 20 minutes too long, but that said it is a worthy epitaph to the man in question.

seaJane

Thanks Nick. Hmm, I already have the folk material from another source, and distance will make it a long day, so I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth the drive.