Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Cemetery Lists (xcel database of COG-BR) - CANCELLED

laughton

We have started a process to accumulate and share the XCEL database lists provided by the CWGC for specific cemeteries. These are the ones that Andy @Andy and Bec @Becstar have provided to date, as I have none myself. Had never asked for them, did not know they existed.

IF OTHERS HAVE MORE OF THESE FILES AND WANT TO SHARE THEM I WILL ADD THEM TO THE DATABASE - just send them to me!

See below, now cancelled at the request of the CWGC.

Here is what we have just from today:

These are on the shared MediaFire site, in the same location that I posted the other files mentioned here:

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since that was first posted. There is lots of great information in that shared list, so have a poke around.

Here is an example of what you might find (edited out blank columns). As you can see, it is the last column that is most important and it includes UNKNOWN as well as KNOWN casualties. What it does not show is the EFFECTS that were found with the remains, if any.

Name Service No Rank Description Unit Regiment Description Date of Death Grave/Memorial Ref Concentrated From
ABBOTT, STANLEY EDWARD FELMINGHAM 25881 Private 9th Bn. Norfolk Regiment 18-10-16 VI. M. 18. 57c.N.21.
ABEL, ARTHUR HOWARD 22519 Second Lieutenant 2nd Bn. Auckland Regiment, N.Z.E.F. 01-09-18 I. B. Headstone 23. N/A

One of the projects I have discussed here in Canada with the University of Victoria is to have a database for Canadian casualties where we can match the TMC (trench map coordinates) of the UNKNOWNS with the TMC of the CEF men, as shown on their casualty cards (Circumstance of Casualty / Death). These are online for the Canadians but I have not seen them for other nationalities. UVIC currently hosts the CEF WAR DIARIES that was taken over from the great work of CEFSG Member Marc Leroux (see here). They have done a fantastic job on that project and would be an ideal candidate to do the casualty database. As a university, they MIGHT share that process with other national universities? I would have to ask Greg, who would have to ask the "uppers".

Edited by laughton
updated

Hi 

a very interesting development in the hunt for unknown’s

if I wanted a copy of this listing for a particular cemetery 

what is the wording in the email, I should be using and who do I send the request too

Sorry Pals, but I got an email from Mel at the CWGC asking me to "take these down". Apparently they were made for INDIVIDUALS on the condition that they were not made public. The concern is that they are out-of-date almost as soon as they are made. Someone contacted the CWGC because they were in that situation.

Too bad.

Edited by laughton
these = they