Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question on abbreviation on records.

Snowyred

I've managed to work out most of the abbreviations on the records I have all apart from one, if anyone can help I would be most grateful. I think I may know what it means but need confirming. The record states as below..

Recd, B'ford.D.O.107, 8.7.15. Absent from Pam 8.7.15.

Could somebody explain to me what "pam" is short for. 

Many thanks  Nick

• Admin

Could it be Par not Pam, meaning  Parade

Parade am?

i.e. in the morning?

Alan. 

That line is out of date sequence with the rest - I wonder why.

12.7.15 agrees in format with the other dates, but at "D.O. 107, 8/7/15 absent from pam.8/7/15" the dates are in a different format - could they be a clerical reference?

Divisional Order 107 [issued?] 8/7/15? An accompanying pam[phlet] 8/7/15 from which his name was missing, or in which he was recorded absent?

The entry is a bit odd. As sJ notes, it appears to have been typed onto the card (by a different typewriter ?) on the wrong line. My understanding of this entry is:-

"On 12 Jul 1915 the RND Record Office in London received Blandford Draft Order No.107 dated 8 July 1915, which stated that the rating had been noted as absent from 10 am the same day."

The odd thing is that there is no stated reason for absence nor is there a record of any follow-up action, disciplinary or otherwise.

We just have to accept that this is one of those glitches which abound in any admin system. We can never know the reality.