Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aerial view unknown town after attac

eisenbahn.tv

Hello!

I followed the thread in our german Feldgrau-Forum.

I must say: Howard, brilliant work!!!!! Chapeau!!!!

My view as outlined then and now is that the maps and photos have been (over)paid for in Blood, Guts and Treasure and that as an act of remembrance, they should be free to access anywhere.

Dear Howard,

Well said!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

20 hours ago, egbert said:

Howard, all of my non-identified images are posted here on GWF and are visible to anybody. If you think you can not participate in the quoted threads , just don't do it but please refrain from "educational" instructions. 

I have no idea what you mean by educational instructions, what I posted is neither "educational" nor is it part of any "instructions". It was simply my view, this is a discussion forum and my posts are part of that discussion. If your views differ from mine then that is fine, that is part of normal discourse; it would be a boring world if we all agreed.

I simply try to help as I have some experience in maps etc. and a very large collection of maps and photos gained from 4 years volunteer work. If I can help I do but it is always on the basis of sharing that work and not restricting the output in any way. I have been pressured to do so in the past from various people and have always refused, that pressure came from those wishing to "protect" what I see as being not theirs to protect.

If you or others think differently then that is fine but then I will not feel able to help despite at least one of your photos being very easy to place on a map.

Howard

Well said and well spotted Howard.  I share your approach as I think it makes an important contribution to the value of this forum.  I have to say that despite Bapaume being the main shopping area we use when over there, I singularly failed to make the connection, despite the distinctive railway set up which I had once tried to follow on trench maps when doing some research.  I must pay more attention.

Regards.

Reg

Workings as newspaper picture editor AND collector of old photographs - I know both sides.

Newspaper editors view: Egberts "Copyright" is not helpfull. In 99 of 100 cases our problem is not money. If we want a picture, we pay for it. The major problem is who to pay. I use the google picture search. Find the picture I want - and have no glimse who Egbert is.  And I can't sign up 3-4 forums a day... (So please mark pictures with a contact. [Homepage adress, email])

Collectors view: I paid 50 bucks for a rare photo. If I publish it at the internet everyone can steal it without any consequenz. Simply I can't refer to a copyright i don't have. So it's always a mental fight: do it or not. So I do understand Egbert by marking his pictures in that way. 

That's my thoughts..

Gabriel

Edited by eisenbahn.tv
spelling