Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Second World War Codewords

Gareth Davies

I know that the title might make you think that this is all about the Second World War but there is a Great War connection. I was having a look through 40 RTR's War Diary this afternoon (slow day here in Wiltshire) and was interested to see that the codewords used to change the Bn's state of readiness in August 1939 were Byng, Allenby, and Plumer.

As in Viscounts? Vimy, Ypres etc.  I wonder how many other code words were derived from the Great War? 

Yes.  

They also used Clive.

• Admin

Gareth

Here are a couple of ww1 records that may be of interest to you http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/ae0756d3-7f39-452c-b69d-bbab5a93b368

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/2c5911ab-603d-4725-b841-c3917e39d88c

Looks like there are loads of ww2 records relating to code words at NA too.

Regards

David

David

I have spent many an hour in the KCL Liddell Hart Centre so in theory I should have that document somewhere in my somewhat shambolic filing system.  But many thanks for pointing it out to me as I may well have missed it. 

21 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

They also used Clive.

So is that Welsh Guards Percy Herbert?  My gransha told me about him but I’m not sure where he came across him he was a South Wales Borderer.  I may be on wrong track though. I guess using such names would keep the enemy guessing if they ever got hold of such info!

21 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

Yes.  

They also used Clive.

But not Derek?

Nope.  Derek only appears once in the RTR War Diaries - Lt Derek Grahame-Parker.  

I am wondering now why my grandfather mentioned him P Herbert, many moons ago I can only think his stepfather may have crossed paths during the first war.  Not too sure but would it be feasible that as a soldier training he could have been told of him?  I know very little except he died of wounds?  Will do some looking up and teach myself something!