Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cycling Ypres

Richard Matlock

Hello all , my brother want to go to Ypres for a special holiday in May and do some cycling, so we need to know the best places to hire bikes and the best places to cycle in the area I don't mind traveling to get to the right site, thanks and sorry for being so lazy !

Rich M 

I have walked the Ypres Salient on my own, and toured it by car with others, and have long been considering a cycling tour of the area. Virtually all hotels and guesthouse in Ieper will either have bikes that you can borrow, or will be able to arrange for you to hire a couple. I imagine that it is best to sort this out in advance - I have yet to find a hotelier in Ieper who does not speak excellent English. If you search the forum you find plenty of reviews of hotels in Ieper - my favourites are: The Ariane (quite expensive), the Albion (mid-price, lovely staff), and the budget Ambrosia (lovely staff, no lifts, small rooms) all of which will be able to sort you out with bikes I am fairly sure. (Pause a moment to be amused by the race to get to the top of the alphabetical list of hotels which must have happened in pre-computer times!)

Jon Cooksey and Jerry Murland's book on touring Ypres has plenty of routes that can be cycled, and it is HERE.

Good luck with your holiday!

William.

Hi.

Might you consider a proper cycling holiday - get yourselves to Hull Ferries with your own bikes
and take the overnight ferry Hull to Zeebrugge (bikes go free). You can be on the road by 9am and it is just under 40 miles to Ieper (Ypres), via Brugge (ten miles from Zeebrugge), with at least 90% of the way on cycle paths,. May is usually a good time of the year (I’ve been in that month several times on the way down to the Somme, the last in 2017). If you decide to do this feel free to contact me with any questions.

Terry

oh no.... more "wieler-terroristen" ...

kidding...

a friend used Bikingbox Cycletours once and found it good. they rent all sorts of bikes, with baskets, kids seats and helmets...

info@bikingbox.be

the toerism info in Ypres has also some contacts: http://www.toerismeieper.be/nl/pagina/146-230-276/fietsverhuur.html

Marilyne

• 4 weeks later...

Richard: sounds like a very good plan!! 

and as Simon sais... avoid the Kemmelberg on the bikes... 

M.