Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chief of French Artillery

alantwo

In May 1915 there was a meeting with the GOCRA and the Chief of French Artillery at Cape Helles. The handwriting is rather faint and indistinct in the War Diary and the French Officer's name looks like Colonel 'Bruvet' or 'Brunet', might be 'Brune &'. Could anyone confirm the spelling and the officer's full name. My thanks in advance.

Regards

Alan

Hello, Alan

I can't provide a full name, but I found this in French artillery war diaries held in http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr:

Untitled-1.jpg.e23d97bcca530f1bde1e065083734174.jpg

Le General Dauvé, commandant l'Artillerie du C.E.O.

It might not be the same person since the diary covers only July-September period. Maybe he was promoted to general by July. Not sure.

EDIT: Ok, it's "Brunet." From the same source:

1.jpg.b82e9c96a8f4e059f23d13d8ed230564.jpg

2.jpg.6e5e2a28d38c627c574a3169505220f9.jpg

3.jpg.f5f6c1c7fa80b1486c4fccf4428eaaeb.jpg

Edited by emrezmen
Addition

Emrezmen

I have just followed your link and also found Lieutenant Colonel BRUNET in a JMO for 5 Mai-6 Juillet 1915.

Many thanks for your help and edit.

Kind regards

Alan

• 1 year later...

Thanks Alan, glad to have repaid you in some small measure for the assistance that you have provided me.

The person who deserves credit is Fabien, for his work in transcribing the lists of Frenchmen who were recipients of British gallantry & merit awards.

Whilst the situation with the French, like the Dominions, can potentially be envious, given that so many <<matricule militaire>> have survived, in the inverse sense, it is far easier to research a British unit as whilst a lot of service records did go up in smoke, the medal roll lists do give the potential to dig deeper for a given regiment.

I was looking to find out a bit more info on some field rank officers of the French Army at Gallipoli. This would be a doddle for British counterparts, because of Army Lists and pre-war biographies therein, and yet I cannot make headway for the French.

Regards
Keith