Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1907 helve, frog wanted

garfyboy

Hi folks

i am trying to get together a complete p1907 Lee Enfield bayonet set together, I have the bayonet and the original carrier that fits the frog to carry the helve (the hard bit to find) I just need a original frog with helve strap and the helve itself, any for sale out there?

thanks

andy

There's a nice one coming up here...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Webbing-P08-1908-Pattern-Frog-1917-Rare-Welsh-Guards-Marked/264159424399

Also one on c.s. Militaria at £125....https://www.csmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php?ps=1&pg=2#prettyPhoto

Dave.

Edited by Dave66
Link added

Andy,

There is a nice leather one coming up for auction at C&T, estimate £300 to £500.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Thanks for your reply’s folks, must admit that I didn’t realise they were so expensive

5 hours ago, garfyboy said:

Thanks for your reply’s folks, must admit that I didn’t realise they were so expensive

Going through the roof on the dealers sites now, might be worth keeping an eye on this though...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-BRITISH-ARMY-ENTRECHING-TOOL-1914-1915-WORLD-WAR-ONE/153355939256?hash=item23b4b9edb8:g:iRoAAOSwwfFcT0yR

I gave up,trying to find original 08, came across an old repro set with original handle and gave 75 quid....not quite right but displays well.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I will follow that one, much appreciated 

andy

On 31 January 2019 at 10:55, garfyboy said:

Thanks Dave, I will follow that one, much appreciated 

andy

Well that went for more than I expected!!!

image.png

Wow that’s ridiculous, well after spotting that I purchased the one from crow valley for £70 including postage, seems a bargain after that and better condition 

1 hour ago, garfyboy said:

Wow that’s ridiculous, well after spotting that I purchased the one from crow valley for £70 including postage, seems a bargain after that and better condition 

That makes perfect sense, and will complete tha set niceley.

Years ago I found a 15 dated Lucas helve for a fiver, but for over 10 years could never find an original handle to go with it. Only by luck the copy carrier and handle came my way so snapped it up...never imagined they were so hard to come by or expensive.

Dated entrenching tool heads used to be reasonably common and still surface on ebay every so often for not much money. The helve, ie. the handle, was always extremely difficult to find dated and most collectors tend to be happy with an undated one of the right pattern and general appearance. Presumably that accounts for the bizarrely high price of this one. Every collector knows how rare the 1908 pattern helve carrier is, though it seems to be less rare since the Internet and ebay. Going slightly off topic, it's been my experience that the hardest part to find of the 08 set is good, unblancoed early to midwar-dated pouches.

Edited by wainfleet