Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this [3] Div[isio]n Rest Station?

rolt968

The following is part of the record of Robert Bell Henderson, S/9604, 1 Gordon Highlanders.

ANC.jpg.5156223ed79d95f7c19c816dc62817a8.jpg

(ancestry)

FMP.jpg.b4e3c3e2d87b0efc60b3ff0dd2b55850.jpg

(FMP)

He was admitted to 8 Field Ambulance on 13 September 1915 with ulcer(s) on a leg. He was returned to unit on 18 September 1915 by 7 Field Ambulance. In between it looks if he was at what looks like "Divn Rest Station". I take that to be "Divisional Rest Station". What do other people think?

Opposite the 8 Field Ambulance entry there is a place entry which looks to me like "Beanhoek". I can't make anything of that but have a feeling I am missing an obvious misreading. What should it be please?

(We have discussed it before, but forum members might like to notice the difference between the ancestry and FMP scans of the same document.)

RM

'Opposite the 8 Field Ambulance entry there is a place entry which looks to me like "Beanhoek". I can't make anything of that but have a feeling I am missing an obvious misreading. What should it be please?'

Brandhoek, I think. West of Ypres, it was a major RAMC centre.

William

14 minutes ago, WilliamRev said:

'Opposite the 8 Field Ambulance entry there is a place entry which looks to me like "Beanhoek". I can't make anything of that but have a feeling I am missing an obvious misreading. What should it be please?'

Brandhoek, I think. West of Ypres, it was a major RAMC centre.

William

I thought it looked vaguely like something I should recognise. I really should have got that! (My only excuse - I can't do word puzzles or make anything of word games.)

Many thanks!

RM