Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Good Conduct Stripe

Malcolm Linham

Pals

Please can someone tell me, is a good conduct stripe exactly the same as lance corporal stripe just worn in a different location on the sleeve.

If they are completely different how do you tell them apart ?

Best wishes 

Malcolm

Identical on Service dress,

Good Conduct badges could be earned by regular soldiers before the war, and by all soldiers during the war. The qualifying periods were 2 years, 5, 12, 18 and beyond.

Those above lance-corporal or equivalent were not allowed to wear them ....... the assumption being that they would of course be of good conduct.

As ever in the army, there were complications and anomalies. Here is an extreme [but not record] example, post WW II.

Much more if you want more detail.image.png.79a3497f4a2eedbb1d2dec839d5762e8.png

Edited by Muerrisch

Muerrisch

Thank you very much, I am putting together my grandfather's history and trying purchase examples of what he would have worn. So far I have purchased a signallers badge and two wound stripes plus other bit and pieces.

Malcolm  

8 minutes ago, daggers said:

Same stripe! Overseas service stripes smaller and coloured.

D

Which part of "Identical on Service dress"  was wrong or inadequate please?

2 hours ago, daggers said:

Same stripe! Overseas service stripes smaller and coloured.

D

Not like you daggers?  The thread is referring to good conduct badges / stripes rather than overseas service stripes.

The old sweat from the Wessex Brigade appears to have 10 Good Conduct Badges: how many years of undetected crime did that account for?

Second question: when did the practice stop (assuming it has stopped - I just can't recall seeing any in recent times)?

Edited by Steven Broomfield

...and my question is: what kind of a guy must somebody be that conducted him so spotless over years and yet did not get promoted beyond lance-corporal?

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Not every soldier wanted promotion, nor perhaps was considered for promotion despite the GC badge(es).

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

The old sweat from the Wessex Brigade appears to have 10 Good Conduct Badges: how many years of undetected crime did that account for?

Second question: when did the practice stop (assuming it has stopped - I just can't recall seeing any in recent times)?

48 years assuming all were qualified before 1961.

2 years,5,12,18*,23*,28*

*Two years early under conditions, and one extra badge for each further 5 years.

NO PAY ATTACHED

I am informed that the badges [under more recent qualification periods] are  still in QR and the Pay Warrant etc.

I believe the Brigade of Gurkhas retain them, and just possibly some others.

Reasons for the disuse are twofold. Th Household Division do not use them because they mark Home Service tunics so make it impossible to reissue. The other reson is tht modern soldiers do not like to advertise that they have been in the service for a long time without promotion.

As for not rising above lance-corporal, many an old soldier was absolutely comfortable to be a well respected senior soldier with limited responsibilities. Any large organisation has some such: mine certainly did.

33 minutes ago, GreyC said:

...and my question is: what kind of a guy must somebody be that conducted him so spotless over years and yet did not get promoted beyond lance-corporal?

GreyC

Thanks from me, too

The largest number of badges provided as an unwieldy chunk was six. Here is such, of the modern chevron size and design. Any addition badges could be added as singles or multiples. To make lifting a pint with the left arm feasible, one would hope that 7,8,9 etc were added as singletons, giving some flexibility.

My record man had 12 ! And two LSGC medals!

image.png.a46b1bdfcd2bc91a9c5105da6eb7e326.png