Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
GWF1967

Sweethearts, Badges, Buttons, Bangle and Lockets. Brass - Gold

GWF1967
2 hours ago, MBrockway said:

I agree the cap badge and collar dogs look like the standard West Yorkshires to me - i.e. not the Leeds Rifles.

The Leeds Rifles were 7th and 8th Battalions, Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment), so he would only be changing battalions within the same regiment.

Thanks. 

MBrockway
1 hour ago, Old Owl said:

This badge is the officers version of the 7th/8th (Leeds Rifles) Bns PWO West Yorkshire Regt. cap badge  This badge was worn as the officer's cap badge only, as the normal West Yorks cap badge (galloping horse over West Yorkshire) was worn as collar badges by all officers of the West Yorks.Regt., regardless of their battalion. 

The badge was made in silver, white-metal and bronze. 

Thanks Old Owl - it's great to have definitive info for my Rifles files!  Much appreciated.

Was the Leeds Rifles ORs' cap badge the version with the wreath (KK 1712) then?

Mark

Old Owl
16 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Thanks Old Owl - it's great to have definitive info for my Rifles files!  Much appreciated.

Was the Leeds Rifles ORs' cap badge the version with the wreath (KK 1712) then?

Mark

Indeed the badge you describe with the wreath (KK1712) was worn by other ranks of both the 7th and 8th Bns,, however each battalion had their own version of the badge--one showing 7th Bn and one the 8th Bn on the scroll.  All Leeds Rifles officers wore the (KK1713) regardless of their battalion.

Interestingly all other battalions of the West Yorks. wore the galloping horse cap badge except the Leeds Pals who wore the Leeds coat of arms as their cap badge.  

Edited by Old Owl

GWF1967

Essex Regiment- Silver and Mother of Pearl. 

image.jpeg

GWF1967

Welsh Guards. Silver and Enamel. 

image.jpeg

P.Rhodes
On 08/02/2019 at 16:09, GWF1967 said:

Great photo Peter.

It looks like he transferred to the West Yorkshire Regiment, perhaps after he was commissioned. 

Do you have a name for him?

The photo is of my Uncle Reg, Waide Reginald Worrall, he served with the 1/3 West Riding Field Ambulance RAMC as a stretcher bearer from 1914-1917 when he was chosen for officer training. He became a 2Lt with 8th Batt West Yorkshire Reg and went back to France in April 1918 where he served with the DLI in charge of a Mortar Battery. On May 27th, near Craonne, he was wounded in both legs and both arms, captured and, after hospitalisation, became a POW at Karlsruhe, he was then transferred to Kamstigall which is near Konigsberg/Kaliningrad. He repatriated from there in 1919 and lived to be about 80. My Aunt didn't like him talking about his experiences but I did get him to talk a little and I've been fortunate to be the keeper thus far of a lot of his photos etc.

Peter

GWF1967

The photograph was probably taken when newly commissioned, and the Leeds Rifles badge acquired when subsequently posted to the 8th battalion. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg