Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sweethearts, Badges, Buttons, Bangle and Lockets. Brass - Gold

GWF1967

G.S Button jewellery,  the bracelet contains a picture of a £1 note with the wording "Souvenier of the Great War, Aug. 4th. 1914" at centre, and pictures of Baden Powell, Sir John French, William Pulteney Pulteney, Admiral Jellico and two Sheltie dogs;  -  Heroes all.

The button lockets were in a large box of G.S buttons, the seller was unaware they were any different. I bought G.S buttons by 8 different makers along with the lockets, these were made by " Patent Applon No. 7130/15" ( one by the same maker was offered for sale on eBay as " WW1 Special forces, escape button").

The brooch/pendant is made from a button by  H.Robert & Co. London. The pendant is unmarked. All have the same insert.

IMG_4289.jpg

17 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Fascinating collection!  Interestingly, 2 of those photo pendants look very similar to something my Great-Grandma had for 2 of her sons that were serving during the Great War.  One of those sons was my Granddad (one phot is on either side of the pendant):

5a68c065a85d4_HenryHaselden(218040)RoyalGarrisonArtillery.jpg.14df0fb026dbf49063c00cd942be03e8.jpg5a68c07e83936_JohnHaselden(41463)11thBattalionSouthWalesBorderers.jpg.542a5fa1df83c0e27f24a49cbaf1d460.jpg

I also have this pic of a Great-Great Aunt and Uncle.  She's wearing a Rifle Brigade badge and a RFC broach.  Wish I could find similar items to put with my other family history materials:

William Gamble and Louisa Oakes (Small).jpg

34 minutes ago, Buffnut453 said:

Fascinating collection!  Interestingly, 2 of those photo pendants look very similar to something my Great-Grandma had for 2 of her sons that were serving during the Great War.  One of those sons was my Granddad (one phot is on either side of the pendant):

5a68c065a85d4_HenryHaselden(218040)RoyalGarrisonArtillery.jpg.14df0fb026dbf49063c00cd942be03e8.jpg5a68c07e83936_JohnHaselden(41463)11thBattalionSouthWalesBorderers.jpg.542a5fa1df83c0e27f24a49cbaf1d460.jpg

I also have this pic of a Great-Great Aunt and Uncle.  She's wearing a Rifle Brigade badge and a RFC broach.  Wish I could find similar items to put with my other family history materials:

William Gamble and Louisa Oakes (Small).jpg

Thanks for sharing Buffnutt.  Very nice.

eBay may be your friend for sweethearts similar to those worn by your G.G.Aunt..

My pictures show the two sides of the same rose gold locket, one side in civies, the other has the same man in R.A uniform.  It came from my favourite junk shop.

My offer was declined as too low at first, until I pointed out anyone else would likely ditch the photos, either replacing them, or weighing the locket in as scrap. 

Edited by GWF1967

My wife collects Sweetheart badges, mainly Aussie and Filigree one especially, but I like these two. They are standard Officers pips modified for badges.

P1040774.JPG

P1040773.JPG

1 hour ago, ForeignGong said:

My wife collects Sweetheart badges, mainly Aussie and Filigree one especially, but I like these two. They are standard Officers pips modified for badges.

P1040774.JPG

P1040773.JPG

Very nice. Thanks for posting. 

I have a brooch that I presume is a sweetheart brooch, perhaps members will be able to confirm or not. It is an RFC brooch set in silver and hallmarked S&Co for Birmingham 1916 and is 25mm in diameter. The wings are set into the background so I presume it will be plastic [unless they were able to let silver into tortoise shell].

The other one is Leeds Rifles, is this a sweetheart brooch? I can't find one on G--gle. It is blackened brass with South Africa 1900-02 cast into it and is 40mm sqIMG_0395.JPG.c4bbcff0826a7ea889d57fe3fb136e65.JPGIMG_0401.JPG.992668e7b53617f0d0fb65743d0713b8.JPGIMG_0404.JPG.8838fe2c368ecf178bfe13e393915088.JPGIMG_0405.JPG.2910d656ab2ae2b18bd5d639f4e9e7a3.JPG.

My uncle Reg was in 8th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment [Leeds Rifles] but his cap badge was not like this, can someone explain why this is please.

On 27 January 2019 at 12:33, P.Rhodes said:

I have a brooch that I presume is a sweetheart brooch, perhaps members will be able to confirm or not. It is an RFC brooch set in silver and hallmarked S&Co for Birmingham 1916 and is 25mm in diameter. The wings are set into the background so I presume it will be plastic [unless they were able to let silver into tortoise shell].

The other one is Leeds Rifles, is this a sweetheart brooch? I can't find one on G--gle. It is blackened brass with South Africa 1900-02 cast into it and is 40mm sqIMG_0395.JPG.c4bbcff0826a7ea889d57fe3fb136e65.JPGIMG_0401.JPG.992668e7b53617f0d0fb65743d0713b8.JPGIMG_0404.JPG.8838fe2c368ecf178bfe13e393915088.JPGIMG_0405.JPG.2910d656ab2ae2b18bd5d639f4e9e7a3.JPG.

My uncle Reg was in 8th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment [Leeds Rifles] but his cap badge was not like this, can someone explain why this is please.

The silver RFC sweetheart is very nice; not sure about the Leeds Rifles badge, are there any obvious signs the laurel wreath surround has been removed or was it made as a simple cross?  

There are no signs that it has been removed from a larger badge, also I can't find another like it in as much as it's the only one I I've seen with the South Africa reference in the uppermost part and with the 4 lions passant pierced to reveal legs. Notice also the broken fastening clip which I assume was identical to the one attached.

Peter

I bought this a while back, but have forgotten or lost any details about it that the seller may have had. It has a plain back of a piece with the rim, and a pin soldered on.

IMG_20190201_164854.jpg

I have thought lockets made from buttons pretty rare, although I may be wrong.  I have a couple which I found and bought some years ago, but I have never seen another since.

On 1 February 2019 at 16:59, David Filsell said:

I have thought lockets made from buttons pretty rare, although I may be wrong.  I have a couple which I found and bought some years ago, but I have never seen another since.

I've seen a few at antique fairs and on eBay, usually quite expensive. I'd be interested to see the couple you have. 

Edited by GWF1967

On 1 February 2019 at 13:22, P.Rhodes said:

There are no signs that it has been removed from a larger badge, also I can't find another like it in as much as it's the only one I I've seen with the South Africa reference in the uppermost part and with the 4 lions passant pierced to reveal legs. Notice also the broken fastening clip which I assume was identical to the one attached.

Peter

Thanks;  it may well have been made as a sweetheart. 

You could try posting it in the "uniforms, cap badges and insignia" thread. Badge experts are more likely to see it there. 

On 27/01/2019 at 12:33, P.Rhodes said:

I have a brooch that I presume is a sweetheart brooch, perhaps members will be able to confirm or not. [unless they were able to let silver into tortoise shell].IMG_0395.JPG.c4bbcff0826a7ea889d57fe3fb136e65.JPGIMG_0401.JPG.992668e7b53617f0d0fb65743d0713b8.JPG.

Tortoiseshell and Siver indeed. 

I have one very similar that I overlooked when taking photos. 

A.S.C. I'll have to check the hallmark.  ( Chester 1919)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

New find today;  King's  Liverpool and father?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 27/01/2019 at 12:33, P.Rhodes said:

The other one is Leeds Rifles, is this a sweetheart brooch? I can't find one on G--gle. It is blackened brass with South Africa 1900-02 cast into it and is 40mm sqIMG_0404.JPG.8838fe2c368ecf178bfe13e393915088.JPGIMG_0405.JPG.2910d656ab2ae2b18bd5d639f4e9e7a3.JPG.

This is in Kipling & King as KK 1713.  The more familiar RB-style version with the wreath surrounding the Maltese cross is KK 1712.

Both are described as being 7th and 8th Battalions, Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment) (Leeds Rifles) 1908-1921.

I can give no explanation as to the differences though.

Mark

Mr GWF

Two slight problems, both are awaiting my collection from Eype where they were in commemorative exhibition in the church

secondly I have absolutely no idea how to put pictures up on the forum. Technology and I do not have a very friendly relationship and I have given up every aspect of it I do not need.

i'v just bought a new car, I need a co pilot to help get the radio on and already the car' computer system seems to know more about me than I know about myself!

best regards

david

7 hours ago, MBrockway said:

This is in Kipling & King as KK 1713.  The more familiar RB-style version with the wreath surrounding the Maltese cross is KK 1712.

Both are described as being 7th and 8th Battalions, Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment) (Leeds Rifles) 1908-1921.

Mark

Thanks for the lookup Mark. 

6 hours ago, David Filsell said:

Mr GWF

Two slight problems, both are awaiting my collection from Eype where they were in commemorative exhibition in the church

secondly I have absolutely no idea how to put pictures up on the forum. Technology and I do not have a very friendly relationship and I have given up every aspect of it I do not need.

i'v just bought a new car, I need a co pilot to help get the radio on and already the car' computer system seems to know more about me than I know about myself!

best regards

david

David, I know the feeling; fortunately I can bother my lads when I get stuck!

Guy. 

I have decided the only option is to kidnap a bright tech savvy yoof. Lock him in a under- stair cupboard with a games machines et al - never forget Al. Feed him on omelettes, which I shall slide under the door, and let him out when I become technologically challenged. I.e. every day!

3 hours ago, David Filsell said:

I have decided the only option is to kidnap a bright tech savvy yoof. Lock him in a under- stair cupboard with a games machines et al - never forget Al. Feed him on omelettes, which I shall slide under the door, and let him out when I become technologically challenged. I.e. every day!

:D

Thanks for the replies everyone, can someone explain why my Uncle has a completely different cap badge in this picture of him. Cheers, Peter826144793_File3778-WaideReginald.jpg.3e6763e2206e31a7a08fe13e9e038399.jpg

1 hour ago, P.Rhodes said:

Thanks for the replies everyone, can someone explain why my Uncle has a completely different cap badge in this picture of him. Cheers, Peter826144793_File3778-WaideReginald.jpg.3e6763e2206e31a7a08fe13e9e038399.jpg

Great photo Peter.

It looks like he transferred to the West Yorkshire Regiment, perhaps after he was commissioned. 

Do you have a name for him?

Edited by GWF1967

3 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Great photo Peter.

It looks like he transferred to the West Yorkshire Regiment, perhaps after he was commissioned. 

Do you have a name for him?

I agree the cap badge and collar dogs look like the standard West Yorkshires to me - i.e. not the Leeds Rifles.

The Leeds Rifles were 7th and 8th Battalions, Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment), so he would only be changing battalions within the same regiment.

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:30, MBrockway said:

Mark

This badge is the officers version of the 7th/8th (Leeds Rifles) Bns PWO West Yorkshire Regt. cap badge  This badge was worn as the officer's cap badge only, as the normal West Yorks cap badge (galloping horse over West Yorkshire) was worn as collar badges by all officers of the West Yorks.Regt., regardless of their battalion. 

The badge was made in silver, white-metal and bronze.