Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
GWF1967

Sweethearts, Badges, Buttons, Bangle and Lockets. Brass - Gold

Recommended Posts

GWF1967

G.S Button jewellery,  the bracelet contains a picture of a £1 note with the wording "Souvenier of the Great War, Aug. 4th. 1914" at centre, and pictures of Baden Powell, Sir John French, William Pulteney Pulteney, Admiral Jellico and two Sheltie dogs;  -  Heroes all.

 The button lockets were in a large box of G.S buttons, the seller was unaware they were any different. I bought G.S buttons by 8 different makers along with the lockets, these were made by " Patent Applon No. 7130/15" ( one by the same maker was offered for sale on eBay as " WW1 Special forces, escape button").

 The brooch/pendant is made from a button by  H.Robert & Co. London. The pendant is unmarked. All have the same insert.

IMG_4289.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buffnut453
17 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

image.jpeg

 

image.jpeg

 

 

Fascinating collection!  Interestingly, 2 of those photo pendants look very similar to something my Great-Grandma had for 2 of her sons that were serving during the Great War.  One of those sons was my Granddad (one phot is on either side of the pendant):

 

5a68c065a85d4_HenryHaselden(218040)RoyalGarrisonArtillery.jpg.14df0fb026dbf49063c00cd942be03e8.jpg5a68c07e83936_JohnHaselden(41463)11thBattalionSouthWalesBorderers.jpg.542a5fa1df83c0e27f24a49cbaf1d460.jpg

 

 

I also have this pic of a Great-Great Aunt and Uncle.  She's wearing a Rifle Brigade badge and a RFC broach.  Wish I could find similar items to put with my other family history materials:

 

William Gamble and Louisa Oakes (Small).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
34 minutes ago, Buffnut453 said:

 

Fascinating collection!  Interestingly, 2 of those photo pendants look very similar to something my Great-Grandma had for 2 of her sons that were serving during the Great War.  One of those sons was my Granddad (one phot is on either side of the pendant):

 

5a68c065a85d4_HenryHaselden(218040)RoyalGarrisonArtillery.jpg.14df0fb026dbf49063c00cd942be03e8.jpg5a68c07e83936_JohnHaselden(41463)11thBattalionSouthWalesBorderers.jpg.542a5fa1df83c0e27f24a49cbaf1d460.jpg

 

 

I also have this pic of a Great-Great Aunt and Uncle.  She's wearing a Rifle Brigade badge and a RFC broach.  Wish I could find similar items to put with my other family history materials:

 

William Gamble and Louisa Oakes (Small).jpg

Thanks for sharing Buffnutt.  Very nice.

eBay may be your friend for sweethearts similar to those worn by your G.G.Aunt..

 My pictures show the two sides of the same rose gold locket, one side in civies, the other has the same man in R.A uniform.  It came from my favourite junk shop.

My offer was declined as too low at first, until I pointed out anyone else would likely ditch the photos, either replacing them, or weighing the locket in as scrap. 

 

Edited by GWF1967

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ForeignGong

My wife collects Sweetheart badges, mainly Aussie and Filigree one especially, but I like these two. They are standard Officers pips modified for badges.

P1040774.JPG

P1040773.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
1 hour ago, ForeignGong said:

My wife collects Sweetheart badges, mainly Aussie and Filigree one especially, but I like these two. They are standard Officers pips modified for badges.

P1040774.JPG

P1040773.JPG

Very nice. Thanks for posting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
P.Rhodes

I have a brooch that I presume is a sweetheart brooch, perhaps members will be able to confirm or not. It is an RFC brooch set in silver and hallmarked S&Co for Birmingham 1916 and is 25mm in diameter. The wings are set into the background so I presume it will be plastic [unless they were able to let silver into tortoise shell].

The other one is Leeds Rifles, is this a sweetheart brooch? I can't find one on G--gle. It is blackened brass with South Africa 1900-02 cast into it and is 40mm sqIMG_0395.JPG.c4bbcff0826a7ea889d57fe3fb136e65.JPGIMG_0401.JPG.992668e7b53617f0d0fb65743d0713b8.JPGIMG_0404.JPG.8838fe2c368ecf178bfe13e393915088.JPGIMG_0405.JPG.2910d656ab2ae2b18bd5d639f4e9e7a3.JPG.

My uncle Reg was in 8th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment [Leeds Rifles] but his cap badge was not like this, can someone explain why this is please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
On 27 January 2019 at 12:33, P.Rhodes said:

I have a brooch that I presume is a sweetheart brooch, perhaps members will be able to confirm or not. It is an RFC brooch set in silver and hallmarked S&Co for Birmingham 1916 and is 25mm in diameter. The wings are set into the background so I presume it will be plastic [unless they were able to let silver into tortoise shell].

The other one is Leeds Rifles, is this a sweetheart brooch? I can't find one on G--gle. It is blackened brass with South Africa 1900-02 cast into it and is 40mm sqIMG_0395.JPG.c4bbcff0826a7ea889d57fe3fb136e65.JPGIMG_0401.JPG.992668e7b53617f0d0fb65743d0713b8.JPGIMG_0404.JPG.8838fe2c368ecf178bfe13e393915088.JPGIMG_0405.JPG.2910d656ab2ae2b18bd5d639f4e9e7a3.JPG.

My uncle Reg was in 8th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment [Leeds Rifles] but his cap badge was not like this, can someone explain why this is please.

The silver RFC sweetheart is very nice; not sure about the Leeds Rifles badge, are there any obvious signs the laurel wreath surround has been removed or was it made as a simple cross?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
P.Rhodes

There are no signs that it has been removed from a larger badge, also I can't find another like it in as much as it's the only one I I've seen with the South Africa reference in the uppermost part and with the 4 lions passant pierced to reveal legs. Notice also the broken fastening clip which I assume was identical to the one attached.

 

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seaJane

I bought this a while back, but have forgotten or lost any details about it that the seller may have had. It has a plain back of a piece with the rim, and a pin soldered on.

 

IMG_20190201_164854.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
David Filsell

I have thought lockets made from buttons pretty rare, although I may be wrong.  I have a couple which I found and bought some years ago, but I have never seen another since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
On 1 February 2019 at 16:59, David Filsell said:

I have thought lockets made from buttons pretty rare, although I may be wrong.  I have a couple which I found and bought some years ago, but I have never seen another since.

I've seen a few at antique fairs and on eBay, usually quite expensive. I'd be interested to see the couple you have. 

Edited by GWF1967

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
On 1 February 2019 at 13:22, P.Rhodes said:

There are no signs that it has been removed from a larger badge, also I can't find another like it in as much as it's the only one I I've seen with the South Africa reference in the uppermost part and with the 4 lions passant pierced to reveal legs. Notice also the broken fastening clip which I assume was identical to the one attached.

 

Peter

Thanks;  it may well have been made as a sweetheart. 

You could try posting it in the "uniforms, cap badges and insignia" thread. Badge experts are more likely to see it there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
On 27/01/2019 at 12:33, P.Rhodes said:

I have a brooch that I presume is a sweetheart brooch, perhaps members will be able to confirm or not. [unless they were able to let silver into tortoise shell].IMG_0395.JPG.c4bbcff0826a7ea889d57fe3fb136e65.JPGIMG_0401.JPG.992668e7b53617f0d0fb65743d0713b8.JPG.

Tortoiseshell and Siver indeed. 

I have one very similar that I overlooked when taking photos. 

A.S.C. I'll have to check the hallmark.  ( Chester 1919)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967

New find today;  King's  Liverpool and father?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MBrockway
On 27/01/2019 at 12:33, P.Rhodes said:

The other one is Leeds Rifles, is this a sweetheart brooch? I can't find one on G--gle. It is blackened brass with South Africa 1900-02 cast into it and is 40mm sqIMG_0404.JPG.8838fe2c368ecf178bfe13e393915088.JPGIMG_0405.JPG.2910d656ab2ae2b18bd5d639f4e9e7a3.JPG.

My uncle Reg was in 8th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment [Leeds Rifles] but his cap badge was not like this, can someone explain why this is please.

 

This is in Kipling & King as KK 1713.  The more familiar RB-style version with the wreath surrounding the Maltese cross is KK 1712.

 

Both are described as being 7th and 8th Battalions, Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment) (Leeds Rifles) 1908-1921.

 

I can give no explanation as to the differences though.

 

Mark

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
David Filsell

Mr GWF

Two slight problems, both are awaiting my collection from Eype where they were in commemorative exhibition in the church

secondly I have absolutely no idea how to put pictures up on the forum. Technology and I do not have a very friendly relationship and I have given up every aspect of it I do not need.

i'v just bought a new car, I need a co pilot to help get the radio on and already the car' computer system seems to know more about me than I know about myself!

best regards

david

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
7 hours ago, MBrockway said:

 

This is in Kipling & King as KK 1713.  The more familiar RB-style version with the wreath surrounding the Maltese cross is KK 1712.

 

Both are described as being 7th and 8th Battalions, Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment) (Leeds Rifles) 1908-1921.

 

I can give no explanation as to the differences though.

 

Mark

 

Thanks for the lookup Mark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
6 hours ago, David Filsell said:

Mr GWF

Two slight problems, both are awaiting my collection from Eype where they were in commemorative exhibition in the church

secondly I have absolutely no idea how to put pictures up on the forum. Technology and I do not have a very friendly relationship and I have given up every aspect of it I do not need.

i'v just bought a new car, I need a co pilot to help get the radio on and already the car' computer system seems to know more about me than I know about myself!

best regards

david

David, I know the feeling; fortunately I can bother my lads when I get stuck!

 Guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
David Filsell

I have decided the only option is to kidnap a bright tech savvy yoof. Lock him in a under- stair cupboard with a games machines et al - never forget Al. Feed him on omelettes, which I shall slide under the door, and let him out when I become technologically challenged. I.e. every day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
3 hours ago, David Filsell said:

I have decided the only option is to kidnap a bright tech savvy yoof. Lock him in a under- stair cupboard with a games machines et al - never forget Al. Feed him on omelettes, which I shall slide under the door, and let him out when I become technologically challenged. I.e. every day!

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
P.Rhodes

Thanks for the replies everyone, can someone explain why my Uncle has a completely different cap badge in this picture of him. Cheers, Peter826144793_File3778-WaideReginald.jpg.3e6763e2206e31a7a08fe13e9e038399.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
1 hour ago, P.Rhodes said:

Thanks for the replies everyone, can someone explain why my Uncle has a completely different cap badge in this picture of him. Cheers, Peter826144793_File3778-WaideReginald.jpg.3e6763e2206e31a7a08fe13e9e038399.jpg

Great photo Peter.

It looks like he transferred to the West Yorkshire Regiment, perhaps after he was commissioned. 

 Do you have a name for him?

Edited by GWF1967

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MBrockway
3 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Great photo Peter.

It looks like he transferred to the West Yorkshire Regiment, perhaps after he was commissioned. 

 Do you have a name for him?

 

I agree the cap badge and collar dogs look like the standard West Yorkshires to me - i.e. not the Leeds Rifles.

 

The Leeds Rifles were 7th and 8th Battalions, Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment), so he would only be changing battalions within the same regiment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Owl
On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:30, MBrockway said:

 

This is in Kipling & King as KK 1713.  The more familiar RB-style version with the wreath surrounding the Maltese cross is KK 1712.

 

Both are described as being 7th and 8th Battalions, Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment) (Leeds Rifles) 1908-1921.

 

I can give no explanation as to the differences though.

 

Mark

 

This badge is the officers version of the 7th/8th (Leeds Rifles) Bns PWO West Yorkshire Regt. cap badge  This badge was worn as the officer's cap badge only, as the normal West Yorks cap badge (galloping horse over West Yorkshire) was worn as collar badges by all officers of the West Yorks.Regt., regardless of their battalion. 

 

The badge was made in silver, white-metal and bronze. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...