Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eastleigh War Memorial

Boreenatra

Eastleigh War Memorial recently had some new panels added as part of the local council's contribution to their WW1 centenary programme. Does anyone have a list of the names that have been added as a request to the council has suggested the local RBL might know, which seems odd as they found the money to fund the scheme in the first place.  We are looking for local man Stanislaus Sullivan, who served as Stanley Sullivan. CWGC have recently updated his details after the family contacted them, but we would like to know if his name has been included on the new panels at Eastleigh  Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Steve 

PM me an e-mail address and I can send you photographs.

• 4 months later...

Steve

Regarding your friend's attempts to get Stanislaus/Stanley's name on eastleigh's war memorial, I am afraid i have been a little remiss (for various reasons) in following this. Things are not helped by my Council e-mail address being deleted following my defeat in the recent election.

However, I have spoken with the person at Eastleigh who is now dealing with this. He doesn't have the information I was sent because he has been passed the ball; with the loss of my account, I also can't help him! Could you ask your friends to send everything to the address I will PM you

If they mention that it was the stuff he discussed with me, he will know what it's all about.

Sorry to have let this slip, but Dave is now in a position to try and get things going.

Shout if there are any problems

Best

SB

Edited by Steven Broomfield

Steven

I have forwarded your message and the email address to the person concerned. Can you please use your best endeavours as a "civilian" to try and see the project through as someone who knows the area and also the issues that might arise here.. Is there any difference looking at the issue as someone who would wants the name added, to the view of someone who has the job of getting it added ?

Kind regards

Steve 

I got the impression that the chap dealing with it is keen to see it through. In essence, when the memorial was updated, the Council took the list ofnames as supplied by the RBL, but quickly discovered that the list was rather incomplate.

Happy to help insofar as I can.

• 4 months later...

Steven

Just to let you know that I have just received notification from Eastleigh that his name has now been added. Thank you very much for the part you played in making this happen. 

Best regards

E

Edited by EliG

12 minutes ago, EliG said:

Steven

Just to let you know that I have just received notification from Eastleigh that his name has now been added. Thank you very much for the part you played in making this happen. 

Best regards

E

My pleasure. I'll meander along and have a look later in the week.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2019 at 15:49, EliG said:

Steven

Best regards

E

Passed by this morning.

2 GW names added, 1 WW2 Nmae added.

st su.JPG

Thanks, Alan. I'd not had a chance to get there yet (I confess to avoiding Eastleigh Town Centre as a general rume)

Just to put the above in context, here's pics of the whole memorial for those who may wish to look at other names in the future.

Alan.

EH3.JPG

EH2.JPG

EH1.JPG

On 04/11/2019 at 17:30, Alan24 said:

Passed by this morning.

2 GW names added, 1 WW2 Nmae added.

st su.JPG

Thank you for posting this, Alan. That's lovely of you. It's great to see him being recognised after all this time.

Best regards

Eli

6 hours ago, EliG said:

Thank you for posting this, Alan. That's lovely of you. It's great to see him being recognised after all this time.

Best regards

Eli

No problem.

If you need higher res pic just PM me with a suitable email address.

Regards

Alan.