Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RN Service Record

stevejgarton

Trying to make sense of my grandfathers WW1 service record. I have no knowledge of these documents and I would appreciate any help.

To start I have attached 2 clips and would like to know where Hadar Hosp (I think it reads) is or was.

The other clip "employment" looks like he was demobbed in 1919 from Sheerness. Can someone please shed some light on HMS Actaeon and the various reference numbers.

Thanks

Steve

Harry Duffin RN Reserve Service Record-page-001.jpg

Harry Duffin RN Reserve Service Record-page-002.jpg

The hospital is the Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar, Gosport.

He was demobilised from HMS ACTAEON, the torpedo school and parenting base for boats of the Auxiliary Patrol  at Sheerness.

3 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

The hospital is the Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar, Gosport.

He was demobilised from HMS ACTAEON, the torpedo school and parenting base for boats of the Auxiliary Patrol  at Sheerness.

Thanks, very interesting. It looks like HMS Actaeon was shore based, would that mean he did not see active service, as it does seem from the record card that he was a reserve.

The records are for a rating in the Royal Naval Reserve but appear to be for two different men. Was your grandfather Henry Duffin, 2361.SD, RNR,  as shown in the first clip? Duffin was invalided out of the RNR on 28 Mar 1918, so he could not have been demobilised eleven months later.

15 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

The records are for a rating in the Royal Naval Reserve but appear to be for two different men. Was your grandfather Henry Duffin, 2361.SD, RNR,  as shown in the first clip? Duffin was invalided out of the RNR on 28 Mar 1918, so he could not have been demobilised eleven months later.

That explains some of the confusion, it appears some of the entries as you suspect have been entered in error, my grandfather was Harry Duffin, I think it will help if I show the full record cards

Harry Duffin RN Reserve Service Record-page-001.jpg

Harry Duffin RN Reserve Service Record-page-002.jpg

That explains things. Your GF certainly did serve at sea. The record is difficult to read but he served in the hired Hull trawler HMS GULL (minesweeper) in UK waters and also in the Mediterranean/Adriatic in the hired Bristol trawler HMS PORTSMOUTH (minesweeper).

Edited by horatio2

Ok thats great. So is it fair to say that the info on the first image on the right hand side is for Henry Duffin and been incorrectly entered on the record for my GF. 

5 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

I think he served latterly in the Admiralty drifter HMS FOGBOW (minesweeper) based on HMS ACTAEON.

That makes sense as my aunt told me he served in the minesweepers in WW1

I have tried to increase the image size to see if anything else can be read.

Thanks for your help, it all seems clearer now.

Harry Duffin.jpg

2 hours ago, stevejgarton said:

That makes sense as my aunt told me he served in the minesweepers in WW1

I have tried to increase the image size to see if anything else can be read.

Thanks for your help, it all seems clearer now.

Harry Duffin.jpg

In the first column can someone tell me what is written under Vivid from please?

Also I note a gap in service if my reading is correct between Jan 15 to Mar 18, if there anything on the card to suggest where he was serving in the interim, sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Yes, there is a gap after departing COLUMBINE (GULL) in January 1915. On 9 March 1918 he joined "HT PORTSMOUTH from EGMONT", so it would appear that for at least part of the gap he was at the Malta Base (HMS EGMONT). HMS PORTSMOUTH had been based on EGMONT since 20 Nov 1915 and transferred to QUEEN on 9 Aug 1918.

I can find no records of prize money awards for any of his boats.

13 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Yes, there is a gap after departing COLUMBINE (GULL) in January 1915. On 9 March 1918 he joined "HT PORTSMOUTH from EGMONT", so it would appear that for at least part of the gap he was at the Malta Base (HMS EGMONT). HMS PORTSMOUTH had been based on EGMONT since 20 Nov 1915 and transferred to QUEEN on 9 Aug 1918.

I can find no records of prize money awards for any of his boats.

Thanks very much, starting to come together now, getting a real picture of the story

Another question: the date of discharge from HMS Mopsa in the image above is 4/3/19, however in the image at the start of the thread it stated demobbed a month earlier on 4th Feb, I am confused, can someone please enlighten me. Thanks

A clerical error, perhaps. Per this link, MOPSA was returned to her owners on 18 Feb 1919, so the February demob date may be correct. http://www.llangibby.eclipse.co.uk/milfordtrawlers/accidents & incidents/mopsa_h966.htm

I can now fill the gap after COLUMBINE. It appears that he remained in HMS GULL. COLUMBINE (Firth of Forth) handed over parent ship duties for GULL to HMS STEPHEN FURNESS at Invergordon (for Cromarty and Peterhead) on 18 Jan 1915. On 12 Oct 1915 GULL was transferred to the Orkney Auxiliary Patrol parent ship HMS ZARIA. Shortly thereafter GULL was transferred to the Mediterranean and was being parented by HMS EGMONT at Malta from 1 Jan 1916. He remained serving in GULL based on EGMONT until 8 Mar 1918 when he transferred to HMS PORTSMOUTH, which transferred to HMS QUEEN on 9 Aug 1918.

Edited by horatio2

It looks as though his time back in UK after leaving PORTSMOUTH at Taranto and before joining FOGBOW was spent first in the barracks at Devonport (HMS  VIVID) and then at Chatham (HMS PEMBROKE).