Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval & Military Press Sale

paulgranger

N&MP have one of their periodic sales on, and I notice that several of Paul Oldfield's 'VCs on the Western Front' volumes are available at around £7 each (plus postage) A bargain, if this is your area of interest.

The DFS of the book world.

Only DFS have better customer service. 

NOOOOOOO .... not looking !!! 

M.

hopefully updating my old version of SDGW for a fraction of the price.

ordered last Saturday and posted this Friday...hmm customer service

4 hours ago, Marilyne said:

NOOOOOOO .... not looking !!! 

M.

Oh, go on. You know you want to... 

On 23/01/2019 at 12:20, paulgranger said:

N&MP have one of their periodic sales on, and I notice that several of Paul Oldfield's 'VCs on the Western Front' volumes are available at around £7 each (plus postage) A bargain, if this is your area of interest.

A bargain, in my opinion. Interest alert: OK, I am the editor (a role I more or less inherited, with the retirement of the previous one); I was at first dubious about yet more books on VCs of the Great War. My concerns were quickly laid to rest: the set out of the books is excellent (Paul's idea, not mine, I hasten to add), the maps to accompany the battle narrative are excellent, the VCs are presented in a coherent fashion and the Part II section, the biographical one, is extraordinarily full. I really rate this series, written by an author who has spent years on research and has an array of resources at his disposal, as well as an excellent knowledge of the ground over which the VCs were won. Grab them whilst you can at this price; I doubt if they will ever be reprinted.

22 minutes ago, nigelcave said:

. Interest alert: OK, I am the editor (a role I more or less inherited, with the retirement of the previous one); 

What's good enough for the Windsors ...

I too am not looking. My daughter said to me the other day “Why don’t you sell some of these books, you’ll never read them all”. Which is of course absolutely true, but utterly irrelevant. 

i completed an on-line survey recently. One of the questions was 'How many books do you own'. The highest number allowed was 51+

11 hours ago, paulgranger said:

Oh, go on. You know you want to... 

need a new house first... with a BIIIIIG office and bookshelves !! 

M.

Apparently a lifestyle/tidyness guru has stated that a home should not contain more than 30 books.

She would have a major panic attack if she walked into ours!

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Dear All,

The owners of a home which contains no more than thirty books, could not possibly have a high intellectual level...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

To put this in context, 1. She said that 30 books is as many as she'd want. She's not insisting that everyone else has to align.  2. She may be supporting her local public library by borrowing books.

If you mean who I think you mean (Kondo? - something like that), she has little wrong with her intellect, judging by the way she's managing to get gullible people to part company with their hard-earned and sending it in her direction.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:37, MikeyH said:

Apparently a lifestyle/tidyness guru has stated that a home should not contain more than 30 books.

She would have a major panic attack if she walked into ours!

Mike.

WHAAAAAAAT?????

Does that include Kindl books?? OK... not real books...

But... I can live with that... I just consider the giant space in my house that I use for books as my OFFICE as opposed to HOME... :P:P:P:P

M.

I must admit that I do buy a lot of kindle books, I much prefer real books but I have so many that I now buy only the ones I really need for Specific research, most probably like many of you. I have so many books that reading some of the older less used ones is like reading a new book.

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:26, keithfazzani said:

I too am not looking. My daughter said to me the other day “Why don’t you sell some of these books, you’ll never read them all”. Which is of course absolutely true, but utterly irrelevant. 

A bit like saying to a woman " Why don't you sell some of these shoes , you'll never wear them all

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:12, chaz said:

hopefully updating my old version of SDGW for a fraction of the price.

ordered last Saturday and posted this Friday...hmm customer service

I was very impressed with Dagwood Books ( Helion & Co ) , I ordered a book from them last Friday afternoon and it arrived the next morning.

well, book arrived monday, well packed with SDGW cd, another book ordered at same time is out of stock and will be sent later.

I ordered motorcycle spares monday the first pack arrived complete by 2pm, second pack same delivery different company one part out of stock due in 3 days.

Caught up with my own recommendation, I succumbed and placed an order on Sunday, which was delivered today. Alas and alack, I failed to amend the delivery address, and the courier tried to deliver to my house, which has occasioned two problems (a) no-one was there to accept delivery and (b) my wife will have found the 'you were not in' card when she got home after lunch, and I am going to be in the poo. 'More BOOKS!!!?'

For goodness' sake, Granger. Get a grip and tell who's boss.

I would if I were talking to your wife. 

I've only just emerged from my hiding place. I will let her have your phone number and location... 

2 hours ago, paulgranger said:

I've only just emerged from my hiding place. I will let her have your phone number and location... 

Just make sure she doesn't speak to Mrs B though ^_^

13 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

For goodness' sake, Granger. Get a grip and tell who's boss.

I would if I were talking to your wife. 

in order to be completely gender neutral here (yup... the annoying logistician/lawyer is also gender advisor...) ... Mrs Granger's reaction is exactly what I have to hear from the Boyfriend everytime he sees another book appearing... only difference is: I keep MY books at MY place... for now...

So no, Mr Broomfield... the boss is not always the MAN... but the BOOKMANIAC... and that's an "IT" :D:D:D!!

LOL

M.

Edited by Marilyne