Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VAD Pavilion Hospital Trent Bridge

joesam84

HI,

I'm researching the history of the Pavilion VAD Hospital at Trent Bridge ,home of Notts.CCC. It opened in 1914 and closed in March 1919. I'm wondering if any members have any  info about casualty lists, staff, photographs and anything else about the hospital which could be shared.

Also any information about Henrietta ( Hetty) Heymann commandant of the hospital from 1914-1917 would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help,

Rick 

Alf,

Thanks for your help. Looking at the Red Cross record card for Henrietta Heymann it shows she was Mentioned in Despatches in 1918. I  wonder if this was for her work for the Red Cross when she was commandant of the VAD Pavilion Hospital at Trent Bridge 1915-17. I was not aware of her serving overseas.

Regards,

Rick

Rick,

She wasn't Mentioned in Despatches. She was in fact 'brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for War'. This means that she was put forward as someone worthy of notice, and was a means of recognising those who were not serving in a theatre of war. This kind of mention is sometimes recorded as being 'noticed'. There was no physical award, but the person 'noticed' had their name recorded in an edition of 'The Times' newspaper. {I am at work now, but will try to get the date she was 'noticed' tonight}.

Regards,

Alf McM

Rick,

Henrietta Maria Haymann was 'noticed' in The Times {page 4} on 2nd Fefruary 1918, along with almost 600 other women. All the entries are short. Henrietta's reads;-

'Haymann, Miss Henrietta Maria, West Bridgford V.A.D. Hosp., Nottinghamshire'.

Regards,

Alf McM

Alf,

Thank you very much for the information about Henrietta Heymann. The Heymann family were a well known family in Nottingham and a local primary school in West Bridgford  is named after the family.

It is hoped to have a commemoration and a plaque unveiling at Trent Bridge in March commemorating 100 years after the hospital closed and the pavilion was handed back to Notts. County Cricket Club.

Thanks again,

Rick