Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet Trivia #5

Steve1871

Sorry, only pic I have of this, friend is holding for me

image.jpg

Immediate resonse before beddy-byes - looks like an Austrian-Hungarian Mannlicher of some kind!

Trivia, who am I, the bsyonet

For Mannlicher M95 Carbine's . 

Soldier's keeping bayonets on, found the bayonet threw their aim off, these were made to correct that, leaving bayonet on.

Some sources call then calvary 1895 type..

German research in the 1890's found that having a bayonet fixed to the rifle when this was fired exaggerated the barrel vibrations causing a 'wobble' of up to 1.6 cm at the muzzle. That apart, as rifles were sighted in without bayonets, this also affected accuracy when using the sights. The Russians with their M-N's kept the socket bayonets on at all times partly, I suspect, to train their soldiers to allow for the bayonet when firing.

Thanks Julian

• 9 months later...

In reality this is for M95 Stutzen also short rifle for special branches, the cavalry in period prior WW1 dont used bayonet on carbine M95, as cavalry was used as normal infantry in WW1 the carbine got in 1914 the bayonet mount and was called universal Stutzen-Karabiner.

Has Andy

You must have some good reference books, From what I have seen, the Mannlicher M.95  had more versions of carbines than any other carbine during that period,  1895 - through Great War and far beyond

In war, supply and demand, I would think any M95 bayonet that fit a M95 carbine and even rifles , at one time or another during the Great War were paired together in company and even battalion size

As collectors, you should be right in which carbine a certain bayonet was made for. 
Collecting is VERY ADDICTIVE, 

for the M95 ,We collectors spend years to collect our favorite “ family “ of gun or bayonet.  The M95 has a lot to collect, few rifles, lot of carbines, A lot of bayonets, muzzle covers, ammo pouches to finish off collection just of that “family”.

I just bought on line a scarce/rare steel ersatz ammo box/pouch, I look at the big picture of collecting when I can

9E8345D9-6951-4A5B-AEC3-7468E290BF35.jpeg

Nice ammo box,i have som good books and more times visited the Vienna military museum, the bayonet was paired with rifle and serialed to it, there exist M95 long rifle,Stutzen and carbine, the first 2 got bayonets,one wout muzzle add. sight and other with it,both versions exist with hook on crossguard and loop for knot as NCO variation,since late 1914 carbines got the bayonet,then existed refurbished Stutzen-Karabiners,with two type of mounting with sling on soldier.postwar used M95 various countries,so additional variations of marking could be find.

Thanks again Andy!

The Great War is one area of interest for me. I collect Rifles/Carbines from 3 period’s. Early breech loaders, 1860’s to 80’s        1890’s to Great War. And    After to about 1950’s

Since joining this GWF, I have become more interested in the Great War

I also collect bayonet’s for my guns. 
My favorite “ Family” of gun’s are the M71 Mauser family, 71,  71/84. 87 Turk. M80 Serb, in 28 years, I still can not find a Serb. Friend say will sell off his extra ( when he finds the bolt). He been say that for years. But have many rifles/ carbines/ and large collection of bayonets and other stuff for them. Most collectors do not realize how big a field this one family of guns/ bayonets actually is

The M.95 should be another large family to collect..... By far, the biggest “ family” of guns/bayonets to collect for the period would be the Enfield bolt action from L.E.1 to No.1 Mk.3, with all the mod’s. Of rifles/carbines and all types of bayonets, I would have to win a lottery over here in the states to complete that one, kind of hard when I do not play lottery

Andy, What books do you have, a few if you can, and when you went to Vienna military museum, did they have books for sale on their collection? Many Museum’s do. Just curious, thanks

Steve

hello Steve, here is not so hard to obtain serbian bayonet, unfortunally many in refurbished condition as serbians in Yugoslavia many time overhauled their old bayonets, some went to Turkey too. I could buy in Vienna show a serbian M1910 this is probably the best obtainable bayonet, the most difficult is the M1899/07 made in Steyr.

M95 is offcourse a large family i have about 50 Mannlicher bayonets in collection.

Books are mainly older from Czechoslovakia: Bayonets of Habsburg empire 1683-1918, printed in 90ies its from Prague Military Museum, austrian Erich Gabriel parts of book, Militaria Austriaca and some newer books D.Machnicki :" To the hilt"  2011?

serbian book of Branko Bogdanovic and various others

Vienna museum has some books in their shoping book store, but mainly focused by uniforms, units austrian army etc, there is a journal called Pallasch for interested people.  

Hey Andy

just look at your photo on your profile, you have an impressive collection there! Why not start a detailed thread on the M95 bayonets, Please!!

You say you have around 50, so you study and have a good knowledge of them.....I would hope that you could start with earliest one first to take us through the life of this series.......we have all the time in the world, ......... first, pick a standard layout of photos, full length left/right,  cross guard , pommel , markings, take your time to try get a uniform set to do for each bayonet to be Easy for everybody to compare, 

Take a day to allow anyone to post reply so there will be a reply bar separating so members can post about individual bayonets for questions and all

PKEASE!! !!!!!!!!!!

I can only ask here, if you want

On that background pic of your’s, showing an S98m/S. Sawback and 2 S71PFM bayonets is very impressive

I have some of those S71PFM’s, to me,the most impressive German bayonets they made, surprised that you have 2 of them, would love to see photo’s of those 3 sone day, thanks for your post

Steve

Thanks for nice words Steve, in wintermonths when i have more time, i could add few of the M95 bayonets, unfortunally the quality of my older pieces are not so great same as in that time, i had only lower resolution camera, so the pictures are not extra, as majority of my collection were stored out or already saled in last years.

Andy, Quality of rare or scarce variations, even if some are in poor condition, if scarce are still worth photos when you can to show, by themselves and beside others to show difference, I have one or two that I paid a great deal of money ( more than worth) just for the rarity of the bayonet . Even poor condition usually is better than a simple drawing

Just whenever you can , winter months maybe . Thanks