Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rev. Henry Dixon-Wright, RN - funeral picture?

seaJane

Afternoon all,

I have been asked by a naval chaplain if I can find a picture, which he believes to exist, of the Rev. Henry Dixon-Wright's funeral, which took place at the RN cemetery, Lyness, Hoy, some time between 1 and 9 June 1916. Dixon-Wright was chaplain to HMS BARHAM and died of wounds shortly after the battle of Jutland; I have seen his gravestone at Lyness.

My enquirer turned up a reference to the Daily Graphic of 9 June (hence my terminus ad quem for the funeral date), but I have had a librarian with a subscription to the British Newspaper Archives look, and she could find only a portrait dated 17 June 1917. I have also tried Corpus Christi College Cambridge, his alma mater, and Britannia Royal Naval College Dartmouth, where he was chaplain around 1904-5, and they too have no picture of his funeral. I can find nothing in the IWM catalogue either (that said, despite being a librarian I find their search engine very difficult to use). I have asked Orkney archives, and am awaiting their reply.

Has anyone seen a picture of this funeral, or can anyone find one? My enquirer and I will be most grateful.

Thank you very much,

seaJane

I'll try, although it may lead back to BRNC. Hadn't picked up that site, though! Thank you very much.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I am currently undertaking some research into Henry Dixon-Wright and was wondering if you had managed to find the photo? Also, are you able to let me have a copy of the portrait photo you referred to in your earlier post? Many thanks and regards.

Hallo Keith,

No, I had no luck with the photo, I'm afraid. I also can't recall whether the other librarian sent me a copy of the newspaper portrait: if they did, it's on the files at work, which I can't access at the moment (I don't have a British Newspaper Archives subscription). I can't recall having had a reply from the Orkney archives, either (not to say I didn't, but 2019 seems very long ago now).

One photograph did, I believe, turn up from somewhere, but again details are at work. I will, however, make contact with the original enquirer as I'm sure I sent him a copy.

If you'd like a photo of his gravestone I can send that.

Best wishes,

seaJane

49 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Hallo Keith,

No, I had no luck with the photo, I'm afraid. I also can't recall whether the other librarian sent me a copy of the newspaper portrait: if they did, it's on the files at work, which I can't access at the moment (I don't have a British Newspaper Archives subscription). I can't recall having had a reply from the Orkney archives, either (not to say I didn't, but 2019 seems very long ago now).

One photograph did, I believe, turn up from somewhere, but again details are at work. I will, however, make contact with the original enquirer as I'm sure I sent him a copy.

Best wishes,

seaJane

Many thanks seaJane. I do have a photo of the gravestone, but if at any point you are able to access your files or make contact with the original enquirer I would very much appreciate anything you can find! 

Thanks again and best wishes

Keith 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/02/2021 at 12:21, seaJane said:

Hallo Keith,

Best wishes,

seaJane

Hi seaJane, did you manage to make contact with the original enquirer regarding the photo? Many thanks for your help.

Keith

37 minutes ago, Keith M B said:

Hi seaJane, did you manage to make contact with the original enquirer regarding the photo? Many thanks for your help.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I sent a message, but no reply yet I'm afraid; I'm not sure why.

Will investigate.

sJ