Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red cross medalions

BIFFO

I bought  last year a set of red cross nurse medals,can any one identity the 2 red cross medals I believe French and the 2

"medalions"I posted this last year and I think cnock gave an answer, BUT believe me last year was a VERY long time ago

Biffo 

nurse.jpg

Hi Biffo

The red and white striped medal is a French Commemorative medal of the War of 1914 - 1918, it is the French equivalent of the British War Medal. The British authorities right from the start of the war, made it very clear, that if members of the Red Cross, St John or other like societies, accepted foreign service medals, then they could not accept British service medals. It also included the Red Cross Service Medal (see below). If a Red Cross person accepted that medal, then they once again could not receive British Service Medals.

So theoretically, it should not be included in the above group. I have seen a lot of like groups, that have that medal included and I think it is a case of the recipient, family or a collector adding it to the group. The confusion, I think is when the recipient served with the French Red Cross.

The other medal is a French S.B.M. - Secours aux Blesses Militaires (S.B.M. = Relief to Wounded Soldiers), this is quite often seen in French Red Cross Groups. I have not been able to establish the criteria for British subjects receiving this award.

We have to remember that the French were very good at handing out medals to people they thought deserving and did not always worry about the British authorities rules and regulations.

Peter

thank you very much Peter, I must apologise in my delay but if you read my post biffo out of hosipital all will be revealed  both bwm and victory are clearly marked with the nurses name, no number just rc-st john

I have looked to try and see my original post last year in it cnock said what the two lead medalions are,I think relief fortroops and help for the women of war,

Biffo :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, BIFFO said:

I have looked to try and see my original post last year in it cnock said what the two lead medalions are,I think relief fortroops and help for the women of war,

See Here    the previous  request for info