Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anneca

If the body parts of fallen soldiers who have no identification or no grave have been found over the years are they DNA tested?  What is the protocol for matching a man to his descendant through DNA?  Ancestry already have my Brother-in-Law's DNA but how can he begin to try to attempt matching his DNA with his two uncles whose bodies were never found and have no known grave.  Does anyone know if the CWGC or Ancestry may be able to help, or if a database exists of DNA relating to body parts?

I would be interested to hear the opinion of members.

Anne

Edited by Anneca

Thank you for your response Ken - much appreciated.

Anne

Hello Anneca,

CWGC do not take DNA - that is done by the MoD.  As I understand it, MoD only take DNA if a 'new' body is found and there is a relatively small number of possibilities as to who it is.  The potential relatives will then be contacted to provide comparison samples.  There are all sorts of legal issues surrounding the retention of DNA, which makes it impossible to build up any kind of DNA database, so it has to be done on a case-by-case basis as new remains are discovered.

DNA is not taken from established graves, even if they are 'unknown soldiers', because the CWGC's policy is not to disturb established graves.

Cheers

Stuart

3 hours ago, Stuart24 said:

Hello Anneca,

CWGC do not take DNA - that is done by the MoD.  As I understand it, MoD only take DNA if a 'new' body is found and there is a relatively small number of possibilities as to who it is.  The potential relatives will then be contacted to provide comparison samples.  There are all sorts of legal issues surrounding the retention of DNA, which makes it impossible to build up any kind of DNA database, so it has to be done on a case-by-case basis as new remains are discovered.

DNA is not taken from established graves, even if they are 'unknown soldiers', because the CWGC's policy is not to disturb established graves.

Cheers

Stuart

Thank you Stuart - very interesting information.  I expect it would be even more difficult, if not impossible, to match DNA from men who were blown to bits with their descendants in any case.

Regards,

Anne

You may find this summary of the Casualty Identification process here in Canada. It discusses the DNA analysis.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/ci-pd/ci-idp-eng.asp

You may have also heard about the case of the Polish flyer whose remains were exhumed and analysed. If I recall correctly, this was allowed as the government requested the exhumation and analysis and they are not covered by the CWGC protocols / restrictions.

https://www.cwgc.org/learn/news-and-events/news/2018/03/05/12/37/burial-and-rededication-services-in-march

https://www.express.co.uk/news/history/905495/world-war-2-pilot-battle-of-britain-ww2-raf-tadeusz-stabrowski

3 hours ago, laughton said:

You may find this summary of the Casualty Identification process here in Canada. It discusses the DNA analysis.

I appreciate the link on the Casualty Identification process in Canada which includes anthropological analysis, historical research, forensic odontology and DNA analysis.  It is extremely interesting and informative.  Also informative is the background to burial, rededication and DNA testing.  I will pass these links on to my brother in law who originally came from County Down and presently lives in Ottawa.  As a result of both his uncles being KIA and their bodies never recovered, he has hoped for some time, as a result of technology, that it might be possible to trace his DNA back theirs, knowing after such a long time bodies are still being discovered.  However, I imagine this would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Thank you for your time and for the useful information.

Kind regards,

Anne