Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Detroit German bayonet.

new3.2

Today the Detroit area yeilded a German bayonet for me.  My bayonet book source is: P. Kiesling; and he identifies this as a Mauser M/1898 for non-coms because the first half of the blade top is saw-toothed. Blade is marked: C.G. Haenel Shul.  Blade top: crown, O, 04, smaller crown, M.   Reg. Mks: B.13. R. 10. 6. ( 6 is smaller).  13th Bavarian Reserve?  Kiesling says scabbard is second issue 1915.  It is all metal, remnants of black paint, and stamped with a small ovalin cursive Crg (maker?).  Is my information correct?  Thanks.

new 3.2 

Sorry- In above I see I mispelled SUHL.

new3.2

Yes true nice bayo.

But  Regiment mark is 13rd Infantry Bavarian Regiment,10 th company, 6 numer of weapon.

Guess R not cursive.

Hope not be wrong, if I am I ‘ll be kindly educated soon.

pics please.

Edited by Gernika

Thank you Gernika, I always run into trouble identifing the reserve unit.  I will talk to 4th Gordans about doing a photo of the scabbard stamp.

new3.2

Just now, new3.2 said:

Thank you Gernika, I always run into trouble identifing the reserve unit.  I will talk to 4th Gordans about doing a photo of the scabbard stamp.

new3.2

S98 Metal scabbard are rarer than leather ones.

12 hours ago, new3.2 said:

Today the Detroit area yeilded a German bayonet for me.  My bayonet book source is: P. Kiesling; and he identifies this as a Mauser M/1898 for non-coms because the first half of the blade top is saw-toothed. Blade is marked: C.G. Haenel Shul.  Blade top: crown, O, 04, smaller crown, M.   Reg. Mks: B.13. R. 10. 6. ( 6 is smaller).  13th Bavarian Reserve?  Kiesling says scabbard is second issue 1915.  It is all metal, remnants of black paint, and stamped with a small ovalin cursive Crg (maker?).  Is my information correct?  Thanks.

new 3.2 

No documentary evidence to confirm these sawbacks were issued to NCOS' but they represented 6% of the manufacture, which I think more-or-less equals the number of junior NCOS's in an infantry regiment. Night the Scabbard mark be FAG?

Hello trajan- Thanks for the info, The scabbard is indeed marked FAG.  That is the problem when the item is left in the display room and the computer is in the house and old memory retains little in the short term.  Is it unusual for a maker to use a stamp like that?  Was black paint proper?

Thanks, new3.2

13 hours ago, new3.2 said:

Hello trajan- Thanks for the info, The scabbard is indeed marked FAG.  That is the problem when the item is left in the display room and the computer is in the house and old memory retains little in the short term.  Is it unusual for a maker to use a stamp like that?  Was black paint proper?

Thanks, new3.2

Off-hand, "FAG", for Friedrich August Gobel, of Solingen, were best known for making metal scabbards for Erstaz bayonets, but I have a feeling - at work so can't check now - they made scabbards for S,98's in 1914-1915 or so. Check the scabbard throat/top of the locket to see if there are any fraktur marks there - crowned Gothic letters representing the inspectors' name. Black paint is certainly found on metal scabbards.

trajan-  Thanks for added information.  I found no other fraktur marks on scabbard.

Happy to help! And I can confirm that FAG is a known maker of metal scabbards for the S.98, and that black was the regular colour. I have just the one S.98 metal scabbard, unmarked, not even fraktur marks and so it is not unusual although uncommon for these to be lacking.