Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieutenant J.Higgins

Noor

Hi all, 

I haven't post here a long time. But this time i would need to ask some help.

I just got a single Victory Medal that is named to "2nd Lieutenant J.Higgins". I am just wondering is it a unique naming and if so is there any information available about this junior officer?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

I had a look and only officer that I was able to find was John Higgins. I attached his MIC for a view.

Thanks

30850_A000739-02139.jpg

Have you checked the national archives for his officer service papers ?

Company Sergeant Major 3/8921 John Higgins, Yorkshire Regiment

2nd Lieutenant John Higgins, 1st Lincolnshire attached 3rd Norfolk Regiment

Thanks guys!

No, I haven't checked NA yet - wanted to be sure that the naming is unique and can be narrowed down to him first.

According to the Feb 1919 Army List there are 4 officers with the single initial 'J' as follows:

Ref: 564f  (Royal Garrison Artillery)  J.Higgins,  2/Lt,  14/12/17

Ref: 1698d  (Royal Army Medical Corps)  J.Higgins,  Capt

Ref: 1381a  (Middlesex Regt)  J.Higgins,  Lieut.

Ref: 1000l   (Lincolnshire Regt)  J.Higgins,  2/Lt,  30/1/18

Hence it would appear that there is at least one other officer of the same rank in the R.G.A., the second and third are probably out of the running due to their apparent ranks.

You need to see if you can locate another MIC to see if this officer had any medal entitlement and also if his medals were claimed.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Thank you so much!

I tried to locate 2nd Ltn.  J.Higgins Royal Garrison Artillery MIC without any luck. Perhaps he didn't applied the medals at all?

The RGA medal rolls throw up only one commissioned Higgins, 2/Lt PJ Higgins.  Elusive men these Higgins.

I wonder what the manuscript wording is over the Victory medal part of the stamp on the medal card you show?  The card doesn't appear to have any of the usual notations suggesting the medal went walk about but the addition of that note and the note a but further down which seems to relate to the British War medal only makes me a bit suspicious.

Max

2 hours ago, MaxD said:

The RGA medal rolls throw up only one commissioned Higgins, 2/Lt PJ Higgins.  Elusive men these Higgins.

I wonder what the manuscript wording is over the Victory medal part of the stamp on the medal card you show?  The card doesn't appear to have any of the usual notations suggesting the medal went walk about but the addition of that note and the note a but further down which seems to relate to the British War medal only makes me a bit suspicious.

Max

I think that it simply says 'Lincs R' which would be a quite normal note against the BWM/VM showing the regiment, medal roll and page numbers, against which the medals were issued..

Edited by Old Owl