Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another 14 in from the Cold!

Terry Denham

I have just received an email from CWGC to tell me that fourteen Royal Marines from WW1 whom I have submitted for consideration for war grave status have all been accepted.

Although I have experienced before the feeling of elation generated by getting one man accepted, the warm glow that this has produced is indescribable.

These men were amongst a batch of 24 army/marines/navy men that other researchers had identified as being possible non-commemoration cases. (Well done guys). I simply collated the documentation and submitted them with explanatory text to lead the MoD through the evidence.

Now properly remembered are....

Cpl George DAVENPORT Died 21.01.19 Royal Marines Medical Unit

Pte Michael James DAVIS Died 10.01.20 RMLI

Gnr Joseph Patrick DEEHAN Died 07.03.16 RM Artillery

Pte Thomas George ELLIS Died 04.12.17 RMLI

Pte George Thomas FELTON MM Died 21.09.20 RMLI

Pte Samuel GOODCHILD Died 04.07.17 RMLI

Pte Andrew McCLUNEY Died 07.11.15 RMLI

Pte Alexander McKENZIE Died 08.06.21 RMLI

Pte Patrick McSWEENEY Died 24.04.17 RMLI

Pte William Phillip John NETHERWAY Died 25.02.19 RMLI

Bugler Thomas Charles PHILLIPS Died 26.10.17 RMLI

Pte Thomas SHANNON Died 08.08.21 RMLI

Pte John THOMPSON Died 18.11.18 RMLI

Pte George WATSON Died 17.11.15 RMLI

All died after discharge from wounds or illness due to service and all will have their names inscribed on the Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial near Woking, Surrey - the memorial for men who died in the UK but whose graves remain unlocated.

Not Forgotten

For those interested... The submission was made on 13.11.04 and the documentation included their death certificates, service records, some medical records, somes copies of death plaques plus some other sundry documents.

Terry

Well done. Is CWGC doing these in batches? It just seems as though there have been quite a few in the last couple of weeks.

My reason for asking is that I submitted evidence to them last spring on a local man and am still waiting for a response.

John

John

They are not done in batches by CWGC but 'as and when'.

The time will vary depending on what additional research MoD/CWGC has to do to add to the info you supply and that is why it is so important to supply as much as you can. It is also important to 'explain' your submission rather than let MoD work out the basis for the claim themselves.

Also, these claims do not go to one department in MoD. It is patently obvious that those dealing with RM queries are quicker (more interested?) than are those dealing with the army and certainly quicker than those dealing with RN (never been involved with a RAF claim).

Obviously, if a claim relates to forces of Canada, NZ, Australia, India or South Africa, the submission has to been sent by CWGC to the relevant departments in those countries.

Terry

Thanks - that's what I thought.

I did, of course, take your advice and explain what each item of evidence was intended to prove.

I'll have to go on keeping the fingers crossed. It'd be nice if it got sorted by August (90th anniversary)

John

Well done Terry :D

Terry,

Another great result, well done to all involved.

Andy

Excellent work Terry and all who researched these Marines.

14 men will have CWGC status, and we will all be thinking about them.

Doing a GWF search on 'in from the cold' I have found 16 men this month alone and 26 during 2004. This will only have covered posts including the above search terms.

The Pals have worked really well to ensure these men have recognition.

Kate

Guest birdflightless

Well done to everyone involved, I know just how good it feels to gain commermoration for one, but fourteen - marvellous.

Well done again.

Stewart

Well done Terry! Thank-you for sharing this with us.

Terry,

A job well done! I've got a man in New Cumnock Auld Kirkyard (known to the CWGC as New Cumnock Old Church Old Cemetery - doesn't it get confusing!), Pte Archibald McKenzie 1/5th Notts Regiment(The Sherwood Forresters (sic)) who died in Glenafton Sanatorium, New Cumnock of TB on 27th Jan. 1918. He isn't recognised by the CWGC - how do I do it? He has an interesting history and is remembered on his mother's stone. I have a copy of his death certificate and I made my own certificate for him for our church records.

Richard M Bain

Terry

Many congratulations to all involved.

I will raise my glass 14 times this evening - 7 done 7 to go. I can already feel the warm glow you have mentioned!

Best regards

Jimmy

What can I say................14 in one go.....................I hope you are justly proud of yourself Terry as that was a magnificent result.................Raising a glass to you & course them tonight

Well Done Mate!

He isn't recognised by the CWGC - how do I do it?

Richard

Send me an email off-Forum with the details of what you have and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the compliments folks but I only polished the paperwork and pointed it in the right direction.

The real congratulations go to the many researchers out there who spot these men in the first place.

Thanks for the compliments folks but I only polished the paperwork and pointed it in the right direction.

The real congratulations go to the many researchers out there who spot these men in the first place.

But the many researchers had you to go to. Well done Terry.

Terry,

a job well done!

Congratulations to all involved.

cheers Shelley

Excellent result Terry

Very well done !