Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RND units

Snowyred

I'm trying to find out about the divisional Signal, cyclist coys and the 2 fields ambulances as well as mg coys in respect of what we're their I'd, I can't seem to locate. Any help please

Edited by Snowyred

The divisional signal company was a unit of the Royal Naval Division Engineers (RNDE). They were Royal Marines until early 1917 when the RNDE was transferred to the army as RE.

The RND Cyclist Company (RMLI) was formed in early December 1914. At Gallipoli they took on the divisional bombing role (catapults, bombs and trench mortars), attached to battalions as needed, and later "...returned to the RND HQ, to form the nucleus of the first bombing school founded on the peninsula." [RND History.] The Company was disbanded shortly after arrival in France on 24 June 1916.

Nos 1, 2 and 3 Field Ambulances RND remained RM-manned (RM Medical Unit (RMMU) through the war but they were renumbered as Nos 148, 149 and 150 FAs after arrival in France.

Part of the RND after arrival in France, the machine gun units changed over time: Nos 188, 189 and 190 MG Companies attached to brigades (189 MG Coy also appears to have spun off a fourth company as 223 MG Coy) and, eventually, 63rd Div MG Battalion from late 1917.

Lots of war diaries at Kew.

Edited by horatio2

Once again Horatio2 a big thanks, for your help and wealth of knowledge. I'm now in the process of obtaining RND headquarter diaries. And later on I'll be getting the CD of rnd magazines from crystal palace, but that's on my birthday wish list. 

I have the history of the RMMU from formation to leaving Gallipoli. If you'd like a copy, send a personal message.