Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reason For Early Discharge

Margaretnolan

Thank you...so is that a Kew visit then? or is it online somewhere?

George

Not on line, the detail is bound into book form, and the WO Instructions are serially numbered within each month. In fact what one reads is a 1916 summary of all the WO Instructions up to date.

The Instructions are supplements to Army Orders, which themselves are supplements to King's Regulations. That is an over simplification but illustrates the hierarchy. Some W OI s cover minute trifling matters, like disposal of horse dung, others deal with urgent important stuff. A mixture.

I suggest that you start a thread titled War Office Instructions to see if anyone has more up to date information ..... I was last at Kew 4 years ago.

The reasons for discharge in terms of the King's Regulations are set out in the following link

http://www.military-researcher.co.uk/KingsRegs1912/Para392Introduction.html

One of them is Having claimed it on payment of £10 within three months of his attestation

I wonder if the reason in the original post is related to this, but he received a "free" discharge, as opposed to paying for it.

Cheers

Maureen

I'm surprised if there was a purchase out after the outbreak of war as it was meant to be suspended if war broke out. The TF&RF Act 1907 prevented a purchase out being made by any Territorial or Reservist upon mobilization  (for obvious reasons) and I'd be surprised if the regular army was any less stringent.

EDIT:

Looking at the record better on Find My Past seems that they had given a free discharge so there must have been a very good reason.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

For reference - in the early months of the war the 'Army and Navy Gazette' published weekly/monthly summaries of most of the important army orders. The search isn't great (even of FindMyPast)  but a bit playing around and searching can often get to the point where something relevant can be found.

Craig

Born at 57 Chapel Streeet Altrincham 31/10/1898 and was known as both John Patrick Quinlan and John winstanley my grandfather's military history is a complete mystery. We know he was on the absent voters list 1919 as living on Victoria street Altrincham and serving with either the Lancashire fuseliers or Manchester regiment, however the only known photo of him shows him wearing a cap badge that's neither regiment. We do know that he enlisted earlier during the war but was granted  leave when both parents died and he had to rehome his younger siblings, so maybe that's where the other I inform comes from. Please can anybody fill in the missing details. Also we think that he served with the black and tans after the war, but again we are relying on hearsay

received_627418731023749.jpeg

received_377736739627544.jpeg

IMG_20190107_100738.jpg

Just to let other readers know, and to avoid cross posting, that there are quite a few other threads in existence already concerning John Winstanley/Quinlan:

• Admin

Think I've managed to merge a few of the threads so it might not read so fluently but keeps it all in one place 

34 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Think I've managed to merge a few of the threads so it might not read so fluently but keeps it all in one place 

Michelle. I was posting on behalf of Mike Winstanley. I thought it might have been better to start a new post as the John Winstanley on the thread Reason For Early Discharge didn’t relate to his John Winstanley and would have confused people. Thought we would start fresh.

Edited by Margaretnolan

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Just to let other readers know, and to avoid cross posting, that there are quite a few other threads in existence already concerning John Winstanley/Quinlan:

The John Winstanley in the Post Reasons For Early Discharge isn’t the same John Winstanley who the Medal Card refers to which was posted by Mike Winstanley this morning.  I had been looking for information for Mike. Can he start a new thread on His John Winstanley please.