Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ks98 Batonet

Steve1871

I find the Ks97 bayonet interesting, but a bit of a mystery. It has the steel birds head pommel with checkers leather grips like a S71 Hirschfanger with a cross guard like a S98 and blade size similar to a 98K bayonet.......Almost looks like one of the huge array of German "Dress" bayonets,. Yet seeing several, no plating or such, and the ones Zi seen on line have the correct I so. marks and date on  spine of blade???????

Were these Ks98 , regular issue or just police or what? Any thoughts from the experts out there?! Thanks

Also odd, that Ks98 has pressed leather grips in a time when all other German bayonets were using wood grips

Looking on line more, see several more, some are Dress type, but some seem to be issue, including a "Kolonial" issue? With ks and several numbers on cross guard?

Ah, yes, the kS 98 (small k, big S, for kurzes Seitengewehr 98 or short (model) 98 bayonet... Introduced originally in 1901 for machine gunners only, but became the main bayonet for the colonial troops, and used by the searchlight units, telegraph and radio chaps, balloon- and fly-boys. And yes indeed, the prototype in a sense of the dress bayone in WW1 and WW2! All are very collectable, especially the Colonial ones .

My sole example is lacking its grips and any unit markings, and also has a broken quillon, but it has the regular military-type makers mark, and so I assume it was a private officer's purchase. 

Thanks Julian!

The kS98 all seem to be Mir sage, but also see a long blades version, dress type, were any long blade type's also "issue" as well,?

On kS98, colonial issue, they did not use "unit" regimental markings but instead used generic 

K.S. And weapon number for Kolonial Sch... (Forgot how spell it)

for example K.S.1234 is this right?

16 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

On kS98, colonial issue, they did not use "unit" regimental markings but instead used generic 

K.S. And weapon number for Kolonial Sch... (Forgot how spell it)

for example K.S.1234 is this right?

You are quite right on those colonial markings and KS is indeed the right prefix for the South West African-based Kaiserliche Schutztruppe. There is a useful site here: http://s400910952.websitehome.co.uk/germancolonialuniforms/militaria/bayonets.htm with links to other pages including the marks used by the colonial forces at: http://s400910952.websitehome.co.uk/germancolonialuniforms/militaria/bayonets markings.htm.

There were no official long versions of these ones. But note that in 1915, when front-line officers had to hand in their swords and carry a 98/05, many chose something else!

Hey Julian, great links, thanks, they also use carter to say wood grips for replacements on kS98.

Still no know if any of the 3 makers did new made kS98 with wood grips for western front. When you have time.I sure you still have a lot of grading to do. Thanks

My first KS98 is EF Höster , W13 and wood rivets secured grips.