Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

American 'Plumb' Bolo Knife

Tomb1302

Hey all,

Recently came across this in a small antique store near me, and, I was pretty intrigued. It is a 1917 'Plumb' bolo knife with a sheath marked 'Brauer Bros 1918'. The vendor had it priced at around $220 (~170 GBP), but I can likely cut a little off that (no pun intended).

It looks in really good condition, and is marked accordingly (check pictures).

I just wanted to know; What's its story in WWI, and, is it genuine?

eBay link for reference on the design: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Knife-Bolo-WW1-U-S-St-Louis-Early-1900s-By-Plumb-Brauer-Bros-Scabbard-War-Tool-/192610657063

IMG_4340.JPG.69a66e63243eda705aa388c3e0c2bab6.JPG

[Knife and sheath]

IMG_4343.JPG.154256b324c95781b69706e82fe0ad54.JPG

['Braeur Bros 1918']

IMG_4342.JPG.51f3433f3333a98973f1a09475d928b9.JPG

['U.S MOD 1917 CT']

IMG_4344.JPG.416f91278265cb4c406e1ced503afffc.JPG

['PLUMB St. Louis 1918']

Thanks,

Tomb

Edited by Tomb1302

Just going to add that the purchase is going to be made tomorrow, so, if anyone could confirm it's authenticity before then, I'd appreciate that; Thanks.

There's a bit of info here...http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL DOCUMNETS/US Bolo Knives.htm

Also one on here for comparison....http://www.agmilitaria.com/shop.php

Dave.

Edited by Dave66
Added link

Hello, Tomb - These bolo knives are not uncommon in the US and I have examined many and have several in my collection.  The one that you ask about appears to me to be completely genuine, but the scabbard tip has a hole that the soldier must have made.   The price is somewhat high but not unreasonable, assuming that the scabbard has the insert.  I suggest that you check "bolo" in American ebay for an idea about prices, condition, etc.  Regards, Torrey 

Thank you both! One worry I have, however, is my reading leads me to believe that these were heavily 'civilian manufactured' as well.

How can I identify and distinguish that?

Does it or Doesn’t it have marks on it to indicate US ownership, the three US bayonets I have are clearly marked starting with U.S.

D.

Just now, derekb said:

Does it or Doesn’t it have marks on it to indicate US ownership, the three US bayonets I have are clearly marked starting with U.S.

D.

It is marked 'U.S MOD 1917 CT'

Opted to hold on because I couldn't distinguish it from the potential (?) civilian model.