Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jung, North West Frontier

pjwmacro

Can anyone help me with a location for Jung on the North West Frontier?

Closest I can come is JANG in modern day Pakistan on the border of Jammu and Kashmir province SE of Rawalpindi and NE of Lahore.

Any guidance welcome. Many thanks, Paul

• 1 month later...

There is a "Jhang" to the west of Faisalabad.  It all depends how it is transliterated.  What is the context for this?  It might help.

• 2 months later...
On 19/03/2019 at 10:12, Heid the Ba said:

There is a "Jhang" to the west of Faisalabad.  It all depends how it is transliterated.  What is the context for this?  It might help.

Apologies - I have just realised I have not had notifications on for this post.

The context is "Jung" is given as location for a number of photos in my grandfathers album - along with a 1917 date, and normally annotated as "NWF".  Grandfather was with 22 Battery Motor Machine Guns - who were based at Rawalpindi as the Div MG battery for 2nd(Rawalpindi) Division. They operated in the Faisalabad (Lyallpur) area during the Apr 1919 Punjab disturbances, but I think more generally operated right up on the Frontier towards the Peshawar, the Khyber and across towards Waziristan/Kurram.  "Jang" as in on the border of Jammu and Kashmir province SE of Rawalpindi and NE of Lahore seemed possible (as it's hill country- but I was really expecting it to be NW of Rawalpindi..

Thoughts welcomed?

Regards, Paul

6 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

There is a Jungrai 61miles West of Islamabad http://trip-suggest.com/pakistan/north-west-frontier-province/jungrai/ don't know if it is what you are looking for.

Neither do I David - but thank you. It`s certainly much closer to the area which I thought might be a possibility, and the terrain on Google/sat imagery looks much more like the photos I have.

Regards, Paul

208789243_Screenshot2019-06-23at2_48_15PM.png.313d400361825ca9db23d0d8a438e26c.png

Paul

My guess would be Jhang one of the Multan divisions.

Sir James Douie's 1913 "The Panjab, North West Frontier Province, and Kashmir states :

"Jhang now consists of a wedge of country lying between Lyallpur on the east and  Sháhpur, Mianwálí, and Muzaffargarh on the west. It contains the valleys of the  Chenáb and Jhelam rivers, which unite to the south-west of the districtheadquarters and flow as a single stream to the southern boundary. The valley of  the Jhelam is pretty and fertile, that of the Chenáb exactly the reverse. In the west of  the district part of the Thal is included in the boundary. The high land between the  river valleys is much of it poor. Irrigation from the Lower Jhelam Canal is now avail-  able. There is a fringe of high land on the east of the Chenáb valley, partly commanded by the Lower Chenáb Canal. Jhang is divided into the three large tahsíls of  Jhang, Chiniot, and Shorkot. The rainfall is about ten inches and the summer long  and very hot. The chief crops are wheat, jowár, and charí. The Siáls are few in number, but are the tribe that stands highest in rank as representing the former rulers. "

Hope it helps.

Regards

Dave

On 23/06/2019 at 07:53, ddycher said:

My guess would be Jhang one of the Multan divisions

Thanks Dave - that's the same Jhang as proposed by @Heid the Ba - Lyallpur = Faisalabad. The description makes it a more likely candidate than I thought initially but I still thought it more likely to be right on the Frontier, NW of Rawalpindi. But I`m stuck as to any means to narrow it down categorically. I think all 3 proposals are possibilities - so we may never know for sure.

Regards, Paul

• 2 years later...

@pjwmacroHello sorry for a late reply i joined the forum under a week ago, regarding your enquiry, the Jhang near Lyallpur (now Faisalabad) is roughly a 2 hour car journey, there is a road that links straight from Faisalabad to Jhang. This is from what i feel i am confident that this is the Jhang that is the one. Jhang is now iits own district, and there is an army cantonment called Shorkot Cantonment in the Jhang District. So its a bit of an army area.  This is the likely one i am sure of it. 

Regards, 

4 hours ago, SajidA829 said:

@pjwmacroHello sorry for a late reply i joined the forum under a week ago, regarding your enquiry, the Jhang near Lyallpur (now Faisalabad) is roughly a 2 hour car journey, there is a road that links straight from Faisalabad to Jhang. This is from what i feel i am confident that this is the Jhang that is the one. Jhang is now iits own district, and there is an army cantonment called Shorkot Cantonment in the Jhang District. So its a bit of an army area.  This is the likely one i am sure of it. 

Regards, 

It’s interesting (and illuminating) to compare a contemporary Raj Gazeteer with one from today.  I don’t mean that the older maps, etc. were anglicised necessarily, but just that the spelling of various native languages and dialects was often different back then.  They (the gazetteers) are often accessible online.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 12/09/2021 at 15:00, SajidA829 said:

Regards, 

Thank you - Sajid. I am increasingly coming to the opinion that this is correct. The distances these guys covered on those early motorcycles are quite incredible. 

Regards 

On 12/09/2021 at 18:01, FROGSMILE said:

It’s interesting (and illuminating) to compare a contemporary Raj Gazeteer with one from today.  I don’t mean that the older maps, etc. were anglicised necessarily, but just that the spelling of various native languages and dialects was often different back then.  They (the gazetteers) are often accessible online.

Maps are always fascinating!