Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension Cards; cut off dates?

TEW

Just opened a WFA account and downloaded some cards. My query relates to the dates of the pension awards rather than all the codes.

I have a man who was discharged from the army with a 100% disability 5/8/1918, pension commenced 6/8/1918. The earlest date on the reverse of his card is 15/10/1920 and the latest date on the front is Nov 1929 (apart from the final entry which is 29/7/Bowl or Bowc).

He must have had pension awards between 6/8/1918 and 15/10/1920, where are those recorded?

Under occupation on the 1939 register (same address as card) he's listed as; None, Disabled Army Pensioner. Why is the cut off date on the card Nov 29 when he's receiving a pension in 1939? (unless he's fibbing).
TEW

The regional cards almost certainly weren't created until 1919/20 and most don't show retrospective entries.The regional cards likely served as a central index whereas the actial pension files were sent to the regional offices.

The creation of most of the cards was part of a procedural change which delegated a lot of the work to the regions. For various reasons I suspect there were different card indexes prior to the regional cards but pre-regional distribution of the work the ministry of pension departments (mainly in London) carried out the work.

Pensions were usually paid for 6 months at a time but always subject to review.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hi TEW and Craig

Just to clarify what me be a slight misunderstanding. I think TEW in his reference to 'cards' is talking about the Ledgers. 

Craig - I suspect your reply - which I'm sure is spot on as usual may be need to be clarified. The cards you are talking about won't have been seen by TEW yet. 

I obviously don't know specifically what image TEW is talking about but the 'date on the reverse' will almost certainly be the date(s) of the medical board examinations of the soldier in question. These examinations all stopped (as far as I can judge) in the early 1920's. 

I'm not sure this directly answers TEW's question ....!

(TEW - judging from your interest and initials are you Tim with whom I was in contact a number of years ago about an individual in the 62nd Div who was court martialled and your relative may have sat on the court martial?)

David,

Yes, thought I recognised the name when joining WFA recently and reading your article. I believe Fred Watson was another interest, being my Grandfather's CSM.

Yes, you're also correct as I realised yesterday that my 'card' is in fact a ledger. The dates on the reverse under the heading SNB are from Oct 1920 to Oct 1922, on far right side in red final entry is; BK 22 WE (week ending?) 13/11/1923 (5).

The front of the ledger has dates and all the codes running Aug 1923 to Nov 1929 with the exception of the final OK 29/7/BOWC or BOWL.

This man had a 100% pension as per the ledger. dates. I then found him at the same address on the 1939 register with None, Army Disability Pensioner under the occupation heading. So I guess my query was what happened after the final date (1929) on the ledger if he was still a pensioner in 1939.

I can see I'll have to delve into understanding these ledgers better but this ledger has I think answered something I've been working on for some time.

Craig, thanks for your reply and the heads up on this man in another post when you directed me to his ledger. Compelled me to join WFA and from further research into this man things are looking positive.

Thanks to both

TEW

Thanks Tim. If you wish to post the ledger on this thread, or provide a link I'll take a look at it.

Delighted that you've joined the WFA on the back of this.

Regards

David

David, hopefully the fold3 link to the man is here.

I'll take on board that you must get lots of queries as to 'what does this/that mean', 'what is this code?' etc, so I won't bombard you with requests. I'll be re-reading your WFA article and new information that Craig & others glean from the Ledgers on forum. Anything that jumps out at you from this ledger would be gratefully received.

I think the KOYLI, Fred Watson correspondence must have been 10 years ago so I think we've both done well with our recall!

Thanks

TEW

1 hour ago, TEW said:

David, hopefully the fold3 link to the man is here.

I'll take on board that you must get lots of queries as to 'what does this/that mean', 'what is this code?' etc, so I won't bombard you with requests. I'll be re-reading your WFA article and new information that Craig & others glean from the Ledgers on forum. Anything that jumps out at you from this ledger would be gratefully received.

I think the KOYLI, Fred Watson correspondence must have been 10 years ago so I think we've both done well with our recall!

Thanks

TEW 

Private Preston, still giving the run around ?

His pension was paid under the Article 1(1) of the Royal Warrant of 1919 which allowed for disability pensions for discharged soldiers. The card notes that the pension was 'C', conditional. This gave rise to the 6 monthly awards and reviews and was paid at the basic rate of 40s per week.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

3 hours ago, TEW said:

Anything that jumps out at you from this ledger would be gratefully received.

Hi Tim

Page 2 of this is a fine example of a what can be seen on these records.

I can't add anything beyond what Craig has usefully added. Only to say there will be a card for this chap in the 'survivors' run. Scheduled publication of this set is Q4 of this year. 

The new information in these Pension Records is a gift that just keeps on giving. This is the Fred Watson we talked about a decade ago... FRED

Edited by David Tattersfield
typo