Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

266238 Pte H.W. Finch. R.S.Fus.

trajan

A BWM and BVM pair with issue box for the above have just turned up on the local equivalent here of a well-known web auction site. A quick google suggests these were sold to the present vendor in the UK - i.e., googling the chap's number and name brings up a site with several catalogues, one of which refers to them - but which frankly I don't have time to work my way through!

Anyone want to add anything or know where they are, please let me know. These things are always about 30% more expensive in Turkey than in GB...

Trajan

Just now, DavidOwen said:

Posted twice. 

See my reply on other thread?

David

Sorry, I'll do a Search...

• Admin
1 minute ago, trajan said:

Sorry, I'll do a Search...

In case the other thread isn't visible to you

Sold in May last year as part of a job lot

Regards

David

image.png.d152da19984269fc82779c8f72dd8a97.png

Yep, got there. Thanks. That pair on sale here for slightly less than GBP 75,  and I think I have seen at least one of the others around also. I do sometimes spot 'rare' ones over here as with a BWM to a MM winner, so always broadcast the fact on GWF.

Julian

• Admin
2 minutes ago, trajan said:

Yep, got there. Thanks. That pair on sale here for slightly less than GBP 75,  and I think I have seen at least one of the others around also. I do sometimes spot 'rare' ones over here as with a BWM to a MM winner, so always broadcast the fact on GWF.

Julian

Julian

Just the pair or the King's Medal too? Seems strange to split them apart.

David

Splitting is sadly quite common here from what I have seen. Reminds me of the old 'baksheesh' days in Egyptology when people would split up a papyrus to get more for the individual piecea - and it happens today in the Balkans with Roman military discharge inscriptions on bronze: ten small pieces sell for more than one large piece... Maximises profits.

Anyway, as noted above, I keep an eye open over here for GB medals in case anyone on GWF knows more about the recipient or wants to help them get back home to somebody. I used to buy them willy-nilly, but it was proving a little bit expensive to do that for each one that turned up - although some did have more personal histories attached to them when researched.

As for Finch, no 'Star' I assume this chappie was in theatre after 1915. 

• Admin

His MIC confirms no star.

Strange they end up in your vicinity rather than reappearing here. At that price compared to the previous price someone is making money.

Keep up the good work!

5 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

His MIC confirms no star.

Strange they end up in your vicinity rather than reappearing here. At that price compared to the previous price someone is making money.

Keep up the good work!

It is odd, yes... I suppose they are hoping to profit from Turkish collectors. If there was a history to this man, than I would have bought and saved it for prosperity and a better home, but I cannot afford to buy all that turn up - a callous approach I know, but...!!!

Aside from the MM-related one I mentioned above, the best of the others I have 'found' are singles to someone mentioned in a war diary, and a single to one of two brothers killed together at Suvla, a third brother, IIRC, being killed on the Western front.

Oh, I also picked up a death penny here - how do things like that come over here???!!!