Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Metal all over battlefield.

ryandunny

Hi. I recently visited the site of the Hohenzollern Redoubt and noticed the ground was littered with seemingly melted bits of metal everywhere. I took a couple of peices as I was curious and  I was wondering if anyone may know what it could be, if anything.. as I said I was just curious!! Thanks Ryan. 

15478974868466154041823210220636.jpg

Edited by ryandunny

• Admin

Looks like lead, certainly the spherical one looks like a shrapnel ball.

Michelle 

I wonder if they've been stubble burning?  That might be enough to melt lead. Just a guess, as I've never seen anything like this.

John  

Certainly looks like lead from here and so may suggest shrapnel balls, what are the chances of getting a piece weighed?

J

So I'm not the only one that thought it was unusual!  They  were poking out of the surface everywhere!  I'll  weigh it when I'm home later and post. 

It looks to me that it might possibly be slag, the waste bi-product of smelting iron. It's usually very dense/heavy in relation to it's size:

Image result for iron smelting slag

Can you bend it by hand? Can you scratch the surface with a knife to reveal shiny metal? If so probably lead.

If not, could be iron from slag.

Is it magnetic?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Certainly looks like industrial slag. Does a magnet attract to it if so probably iron waste if not lead, if lead should mely at a relatively low temperature. SG

A magnet didn't attract so not lead. (I should have thought about doing that in the first place!)And it is fairly heavy for its size.  The bigger peice weighing 106g and cannot Bend it so looking very likely it's industrial slag??

Edited by ryandunny

• Admin

I've just weighed a shrapnel ball-9g 

IMG_1627.JPG

Sorry!! I made mistake in my previous post. It was supposed to say it DID attract so it's not lead. 

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like industrial waste to me. Is not the track from the road to the Boars head area called the Cinder track - why or by whom I do not know.