Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Thomas Alfred Lauderdale

ajt55

Hi,

Just wondering if theres any information on my relative, Thomas Alfred Lauderdale, 26472 of the Royal Regiment of Artillery (RFA). Born in Houghton le Spring around 1887.

Thanks,

A

• Admin

It will probably help if you let us know what you already have that way the members can concentrate on the rest?

Good luck with the research

David

Edit - Can't find a MIC for him either by name or number?

Edited by DavidOwen

There is a service record HERE on Ancestry

Discharged 19 Feb 1915 - not likely to make efficient soldier

Edited by jonbem

Hi A,

His papers are also on Findmypast - link. Enlisted 12.9.1914, discharged 19.2.1915. No overseas service, hence no medal entitlement. Reason for discharge - as a consequence of being medically unfit...varicose veins. Prior to joining up, his attestation form says that he had previously served in the TF  ('engagement terminated') with the 8th Bn Durham Light Infantry.

Regards

Chris

On 19/01/2019 at 17:17, clk said:

Hi A,

His papers are also on Findmypast - link. Enlisted 12.9.1914, discharged 19.2.1915. No overseas service, hence no medal entitlement. Reason for discharge - as a consequence of being medically unfit...varicose veins. Prior to joining up, his attestation form says that he had previously served in the TF  ('engagement terminated') with the 8th Bn Durham Light Infantry.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply! For the ‘engagement terminated’ what could this mean?

Do we know at all the location of where he would have been between September 1914 - February 1915 with the DLI?

It seems odd his papers I found online say RFA.

Thanks

Andrew

On 19/01/2019 at 13:49, jonbem said:

There is a service record HERE on Ancestry

Discharged 19 Feb 1915 - not likely to make efficient soldier

Thanks John.

Any ideas as to why the records show RFA? Did he get in again? 

Hi Andrew,

11 hours ago, ajt55 said:

Do we know at all the location of where he would have been between September 1914 - February 1915 with the DLI?

He wasn't with the DLI at that time. He was with the RFA.  His papers say that he was part of 'A' Battery, 93rd Brigade RFA when he was discharged at Deepcut Barracks in Surrey. He initially was at the Depot in Newcastle, before being posted to 283 Battery, then 289 Battery. I don't know their locations.

My guess would be that his  "Engagement terminated" 8/DLI (TF) prior service refers to this - link.

Regards

Chris