Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry J. Morgan[s], leave to marry, or not

Ahughes

I am helping a friend research a Welsh soldier, Henry John Morgan or Morgans,the spelling is variable. I think 2 men  with the same name are being confused. The above soldier went to France on 2 Dec 1915 but according to family was married in Wales on 25th Dec. 1915. On the marriage certificate the bridegroom is described as a soldier. Does any know if it is likely that a man who only arrived in France on the 2nd December would be given leave to go home and get married on the 25th Dec?  Unfortunately his pension record on Ancestry only contains his medical record.

Hello,

Welcome to the forum:)

Do you have Henry's Army number please, it might help the research.

Cheers

Chris 

Thank you for your reply. Henry John Morgans number is 17351. Only the medical notes survive for his pension record. They relate to a Swansea man and I cannot link him to the man of the same name   who married in Pontypridd [the mines were booming pre WW1 so he could have moved for work]. Both men survived the war. The Pontypridd man was still alive in 1939. 

best wishes,

Angela

Angela,

The Pension Ledger record for 17531 {on Fold 3} indicates that he was married {wife's name not given}, and living at Gellygron, Pontardawe.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you all for your help. It has confirmed what I was suspecting, that 2 men with the same name have been confused. I'll pass the information on to my friend.

kind regards, 

Angela