Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Records

SAS

I am trying to find any information on a Private VEB Cunningham who served in the Artists Rifles and died 3rd of November of wounds - pictures, details of the battle in which he became a casualty - it might have been Passchendaele at the end of October as he died in Pas de Calais at a hospital station and is buried there rather than Tynecot which was close to the battlefield site. What medals did he  win. It was our friends great Uncle - his daughter was born about two months before he died. I managed to find some diaries written on the battle - how they took 350 casualties as the enemies artillery decimated them when they got bogged down in the mud and water shortly before the German lines and how the German pill boxes with machine guns also descimated them. I think they may have been supporting the Canadians in a major push.

Any help would be appreciated. I have toured this battlefield area and wondered if the battle happened around Tynecot aslthough I thought this is where the Australians fought due to the number of Australian VC’s in the cemetery.

Appreciate any help. 

Private 764018 Virden Edward Barry, 1st/28th Battalion London Regiment (Artists Rifles)

Attested at Duke Street into 2nd/28th Battallion London Regiment on 27/12/1916. Living at 24 London Road, Camberly at the time, aged 24 years 11 months. Employed as a optician and watchmaker.

Married at Guildford Register Office on 01/09/1916 to Betty Maud Talbot.

Daughter Patricia born 28/07/1917

Died of wounds 03/11/1917

Victory medal, British war medal, Memorial Death Plaque WW1

59 minutes ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

Died of wounds 03/11/1917

The battle referred to in post one sounds like the 190th Brigade action on 31st October 1917 south east of Langemarck.  I had a relative in the same brigade.

I think this was the only action in the Passchendaele campaign that 190th Brigade took part in.

It's worth checking war diaries of 62nd RN Division and the 190th Brigade as well as each of the 4 infantry regiments which made up 190 Bde. to get a full picture of that day's events and the build up to it. 

Regards

Alan 

He has a set of records on Find My Past and probably also on Ancestry. Admitted to 26 General Hospital, Etaples 3/11/1917. Buried as you say Etaples MC, Pas de Calais.

There is a nice list of personal articles returned to Betty (or is it Letty?). He also had a former number of 10017.

TEW

12 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

It's worth checking war diaries of 62nd RN Division and the 190th Brigade

63rd (Royal Naval) Division.

For a hard-hitting record of this engagement see "War is War (Artists Rifles)" by ex-Private X (Naval & Military Press).

3 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

63rd (Royal Naval) Division.

For a hard-hitting record of this engagement see "War is War (Artists Rifles)" by ex-Private X (Naval & Military Press).

Oops memory failure.

Thanks for the correction.

Thanks also for the book reference, I'll check it out also.

Regards

Alan