Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

David Garside 2

I’ve started to wonder about who might have been in Grandad’s close circle when he was a soldier.  His military no. was 150227 and he served in the RGA. It occurred to me that I might look up some more military numbers that are either side of Grandad’s. I am not all surprised to find that there are allocated consecutive numbers that were given to more Gunners in the RGA. 

Here is my question: Does it necessarily follow that these people all served together and were comrades?

Edited by David Garside 2
Correction

Hi David, if you have access to Ancestry you can see the medal roll for him. The numbers around him show different units.

150225 was 24 Sge Bty

150226 was 396 Sge Bty

So they would not necessarily known the people with close numbers at all.

You would need to follow his exact unit details to see exactly who he served with rather than regimental numbers.

I would add that they MAY have joined up together - if you look at numbers around his and then their service papers (if they exist) it might reveal they came from the same town etc

Okay, that all makes sense. Thanks for the advice. I can see that I am going to have to be quite busy and persistent, if I am going to make any progress with this.

Hi David,

I found the service numbers (AIF) to bear no relation to those my grandfather served with.

My experience has been that old photos and (not quite as old) relatives are the best sources, if you have access to these. Sitting down with my father and uncle and some old photos of their dad with mates (photos both during, and after WW1 at reunions), helped identify a number of those mates names which I was then able to identify the soldiers via service records. I found it interesting to trace their parallel journeys (from Australia by boat to training camps in England to battalions in Belgium and France etc). They often joined up weeks apart. 

cheers

mark

18 hours ago, David Garside 2 said:

Here is my question: Does it necessarily follow that these people all served together and were comrades?

To try and find who he was serving with you would need to break down his various postings to the units he served with. Luckily you have his service records.

He would certainly have known some of those men who arrived, and were given near numbers, from the time he arrived at No.2 Depot, Fort Brockhurst, Gosport. The numbers were issued in blocks to each Depot, and for his time covered approximately 149988 to 151042 from 14th March 1917 to the 6 April 1917.

You know he was posted to No.1 Reserve Brigade, at Bexhill, on the 24th April 1917. Some of the men from Fort Brockhurst would also have gone with him.

It is from 30th May 1917, when he was posted to the Signalling School at Southampton, when he would have lost contact with the majority of men he may have known as only a relatively small proportion would have been picked for this training.

He may well have been the only signaller when posted overseas and joining 282 Sge. Bty. as a reinforcement on the 5th June 1918, where he would have had to make new friends. The members of which you can search for on FindMyPast by just using "282nd Siege Battery" in the Optional Keywords box. He would certainly have known the other signallers and some of the other gunners serving from that time.

The same is true for 303 Sge. Bty., from 28th March 1919, when he joined this battery which was with the Army of the Rhine.

To give you a general idea of the workings of a battery, written by an officer in 1916, you could read http://www.archive.org/stream/makingofgunner00streiala/makingofgunner00streiala_djvu.txt . He also gives a brief description of what various members of the battery did under "Sketches", including signallers. Although no two batteries were exactly the same, even if they had exactly the same guns/howitzers, it may give you some idea of what it was like.

Kevin

Great link Kevin, thanks for that. I'm currently doing research on a local man who was RGA so that's ideal.

4 hours ago, kevinrowlinson said:

To try and find who he was serving with you would need to break down his various postings to the units he served with. Luckily you have his service records....

This is great stuff.

I've downloaded the book via the link, which I'm sure will give me an invaluable insight. I obtained a copy Granddad's service records only this last Monday and your mention of a few things is helping me a great deal in being able to interpret the 20 or so pages. There are some very feint hand written notes in places that are difficult to read. I was struggling with my deliberations and your deciphering has helped me get on track, I'm sure. 

I also have some war-diary material that covers the period when Granddad was in the 282nd Siege Battery. So, all in all I have plenty to keep me busy for quite a while.

I really appreciate your helpful advice and your knowledgeable expertise.  Thanks very much for taking an interest.

Regards,

David

7 hours ago, jamtin said:

Hi David,

I found the service numbers (AIF) to bear no relation to those my grandfather served with.

My experience has been that old photos and (not quite as old) relatives are the best sources, if you have access to these...

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your interest. Sadly, I have no material of this nature that will help me at the moment. I have quite a few first cousins that may have kept old photographs etc. Maybe even Granddad's war medals. My Dad was not the eldest son you see. It will take me a while to re-establish some form of contact, as over the years we have gone our separate ways, but I am ever hopeful of a successful outcome in following this direction.

Regards,

David