Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt C.F.Arrowsmith MC - What is the military award Order D'Avez (Portugal) ?

davidbohl

Liverpool schoolteacher Charles Francis Arrowsmith(b. 1883 Wigan) was awarded the Order D'Avez(Portugal) in 1919, can anybody tell me what it is and what was his deed to receive it ?

Many thanks

Dave

21629529_Screenshot2019-01-18at12_45_58.png.37f310075bf819f54619d22216363c4d.png

1671444283_Screenshot2019-01-18at12_40_12.png.5e88ef53d067cde78869e99e6b9e0237.png

Edited by davidbohl

It says he is a "Chevalier" of the Order of Avis in the L.G dated 21st Aug 1919 pg 10614

Thanks Peter, perhaps he was involved in the Battle of Lys 1918 where the Portuguese took heavy casualties https://algarvedailynews.com/news/14003-france-and-portugal-join-in-commemorating-the-fallen-at-the-battle-of-la-lys

Dave

A recipient of a foreign award did not have to be actually involved with the country that the award was from at all. The awards were exchanged between the allies and most of the time it was the British authorities that decided who got what.

Important recipients like VC winners, Haig and other high rankers were specifically awarded their medals by the countries.

The unit War Diary may have some info re his award, I have had a bit of success with them.

Peter

• 8 months later...

Lt. Charles Francis Arrowsmith was my maternal great uncle. I don’t know specifically why he received this award, but I do know that he acted as an interpreter  ( French ) during WW1. 

War Diary for the 8th Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment is on ancestry up to May 1919. No mention of the award or Lt Arrowsmith for Jan-May 1919.

• 2 years later...
On 05/10/2019 at 18:21, Guest said:

Lt. Charles Francis Arrowsmith was my maternal great uncle. I don’t know specifically why he received this award, but I do know that he acted as an interpreter  ( French ) during WW1. 

Here is a photo that has recently been identified as that of Lt Charles Francis Arrowsmith....

IMG_8446.JPG

14 hours ago, thedawnpatrol said:

Here is a photo that has recently been identified as that of Lt Charles Francis Arrowsmith....

Thanks for posting this, excellent.

Do I need any acknowledgements before I use this our website?

thanks

Dave

ArrowsmithCF_photo.jpg

4 hours ago, thedawnpatrol said:

that's fine Dave, I own the original photo.

His photo is now sitting proudly on our website http://www.seftonrugby.org.uk/LiverpoolSchoolteachers_Honours.html

Dave