Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5950 Reginald Barsby MM Middx Regt.

Max Poilu

(I am unable to get to the PRO for some time - can anyone help please? :) )

I recently aquired an interesting piece of trench art from this gentleman's grandson. His grandson has kept a few other items and would like to know more. I have his picture in uniform showing he had risen to Corporal and wears three wound stripes, he also wears his MM ribbon.

His number was 5950 (Reginald Barsby); he was in Vimy in 1917 (trench art inscribed thus) and he is also pictured in the Mirror (Dec 13th 1916) with the anouncement of his MM. I believe it was awarded August/September 1916.

His grandson has his medals and a German bullet that hit his helmet apparantly. He was later injured in a shell blast and lost three fingers and part of his thumb also suffering a neck injury.

Many thanks if anyone can help with medal info or even a service record or Diary look-up regarding his actions on that day.

Ok, I have a little more...

Still hoping someone can help with a scrap from the Regimental history or anything whatsoever. :unsure:

His MM was gazetted on the 11th October 1916 (ref 68/121/57 - 32922).

He was in the 1st Middlesex.

Just got an email from his Grandson who has found his wallet and some army forms in the loft (it still happens!):

He joined up 14th Nov 1914...........transfer to Labour Corps (number 614414) 12th March 1919. Quite a War...

He was born 10th April 1893.

Many thanks if anyone can help with medal info or even a service record or Diary look-up regarding his actions on that day.

You will find all the sections about 1st Middlesex from Die Hards in the Great War on my website at

http://freespace.virgin.net/howard.anderson/.

The book was written from the war diaries.

I hope that helps.

Howard

Thanks Howard, :)

Seems likely he would have won his MM in the heavy fighting of July and August as described in the Somme woods.

I am off there in a few hours for the weekend so will spare a thought for Mr Barsby.