Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Percy Newsome W. Yorks / Labour Corps

roger

First of all it's good to be back to the forum after a short spell away and I'd like to say a public thankyou to Jock Bruce for looking up my Grandfather at the PRO.

He found the following info about my Grandfather from the MIC

29677 Pte Percy NEWSOME, W Yorks, later 10546 Pte Labour Corps. BWM&VM. No

battalion for W Yorks given in Lab Corps medal roll.

His medals were issued by the labour Corps but on the edge of them it has W. Yorks was this usual practice to engrave the soldiers original unit or is there another explanation.

Cheers,

Roger Newsome

Guest Hill 60

Roger - The medals normally showed the unit in which the man arrived in the war-zone. I have seen some examples where this isn't so but they are very few and far between.

My own grandfather's medals have his original unit, the Buffs, on the edge but he ended the war in the Labour Corps.

My grandfather, Nicholas Benson, ended the war in the Labour Corps.

His Z. 21 shows that he also served in the RDC, Somerset LI and Hampshire Regt, having enlisted in the DLI.

His medals are engraved DLI.

The usual practice for men who were transferred to the Labour Corps was for their medals to show the regiment they initially enlisted in.

The same is true for the regimental badge shown on the headstones of Labour Corps soldiers. If they were originally in another regiment it is the original regiment shown on their headstone.

Roger - Pte Newsome's number of 10546 indicates that he was one of the original members of the Labour Corps. Prior to service with the Labour Corps he would have been a member of the 22nd Battalion W Yorks. When the Labour Corps was formed in 1917 the 22nd W Yorks formed 18 and 19 Companies of the Labour Corps. In his case the number indicates he was in 18 Company.

Thanks very much for your help on this one.

Ivor, your contribution was a lot more than I expected and will be a great help in piecing together my Grandfathers war service.

If I may push my luck a little further as anyone any info on 22 West Yorks and 18 coy of the Labour Corps?

Thanks again your help is greatly appreciated.

Roger Newsome

Ivor,

I have received the information you sent me and it is more than I could 've wished. Thanks very much.

I will probably need some help with some of the abbreviations. I will post any queries I have on this forum

so others can benefit or help out.

Thanks again,

Roger.