Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mention in Despatches query - 2/Lt. E H Sherman M.C., Essex Regiment

Kiwi47

Hi All,

Although I have tracked down six other entries relating to the above gentleman I have had no luck finding his "mention" in the gazette.  

As further support of his MID I've attached both his MIC and a photo of his medal collection.

If anyone was good enough to assist I would be grateful.

Many thanks in advance!

mic.jpg

EHShermanmedals.jpg

Have a look here...

Gazette Info:

Gazette Issue 30204. M.C. The King has been graciously pleased to confer the Military Cross on the Officer in recognition of his conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in charge of an advanced observation post. He remained at his post sending back valuable information to Battalion Headquarters, until all his post were killed or wounded, and he was wounded himself.

Gazette Date: 24/07/1917

Gazette Page: 7639

George

It looks to me as if Sherman had thought he was entitled to an MID--hence the note on the MIC of 'No Mention'--possibly he applied for the oakleaf emblem and was turned down.

I have come across similar notes on other MICs--usually along the line of 'No trace of a mention found'.  Had his claim been substantiated the there would have been a note on the MIC 'Emblems issued' followed by the respective authorisation reference and date of issue.

IMHO The emblem on the medals is either a 'self award' or has been subsequently added by another person.

There is no listing for 2nd Lt. E. H. Sherman in Michael Maton's three volume set of Mentions in Despatches 1914 -1922 as extracted from the London Gazette.

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your responses. I was suspicious of what Old Owl has essentially substantiated and which has been further confirmed by HarryBrook.

Thanks again.

Angus